Where to find early 1969 temperature sensor

Started by nlorntson, 24 February 2013, 02:32

Previous topic - Next topic

nlorntson

I have a early 1969 AS transmission (built October 1968) that has the two sensors in the bell housing right side.  I think those are the lower and upper range temperature sensors right?  One is broken off :(

What are my options to replace it?

I've not found any for sale at places like evwparts.com  or theSamba

Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks much!

68autobug

Hi
well they stopped using the two ATF sensors around 1971 from memory..
so, only one is now used..  the one for drive 2.  They found the drive 1 temperature
never went so high.. so stopped using it, so only one sensor used.
I'm sure if |You asked someone. they would have a spare one..
best wishes

LEE in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

nlorntson

I got what I need.  Thanks everyone for the leads! 

I now have a pair of spares too so if anyone needs either the 125 degree or the 140 degree one let me know.

68autobug

Great news..
every early gearbox had them..
so there should be spares of them about [used naturally]

cheers

LEE from Australia

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

KevM

Hi,
Can I jump on the back of this old thread as one of you guys might have the info I need (to help someone else out :)

overheat warning-light switches

Whats the thread sizes (e.g. M14 x 1•5 mm)
Switch activation temperatures (is 125 and 140 degrees correct? )
Electrical-terminal type (e.g. 6•3 mm spade-terminal, 4 or 5 mm threaded stud, etc)
if you have got it the VW part number or manufacturer's part number

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

68autobug

14mm thread  18 TPI using a thread gauge.. Coarse thread  .. they both have 3 spade terminals  6.3mm so they can be connected to 3 individual wires as the plugs would be virtually impossible to find these days...
125C degrees [257F]   and 140C degrees [284F degrees] 

temp switch 2 is connected to the lamp in the speedo in drive range 1..
when the temperature in drive range 2 equals 257F [125C] the warning lamp comes on.. the driver MUST then select range ONE
it was found that the temperature in DRIVE ONE does not normally ever get to 284F , so that switch was deleted a few years later.
there are special plugs that plug onto the temperature sender that will be hard to find nowadays...
I have never actually connected My switches to the dash light... even though they are wired up...
so I have been driving since 2005 without those switches being connected...
If You pull a small caravan or trailer then those switches should be connected...

Lee in Australia..  8 C degrees...Winter is here - down under -

KevM

68autobug

The neutral safety switch has the same thread and uses the same 3 pin plug as the temperature switches do...
the temperature switches have the temperature stamped into them although very small...
they also have the date they were made on them like 2-68 & 3-68...
I don't believe these are available new...  so having the part number probably wouldn't help... The Auto stick was a joint project between PORSCHE- & Volkswagen -
whether they used the same temperature senders ??  I don't know...
but they should be available from old gearboxes...

Lee in Australia..

KevM

Thank you again, great info.
I hope all is well, I've got another semi, a 1302ls
Kev