Vin Decoder

Started by Chris the Eagle, 16 August 2007, 00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris the Eagle

Can anyone decode my vin or give me a decoder website.

My vin is 119066831, I am sure that it is a 1969 VW Beetle, but I have no idea what kind of engine it has.

Thanks
God Bless
Chris

69 A/S VW

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

Actually, VW are pretty straightforward and do not hide very complicated information (such as engine type).

The first digit "1" indicates a Type 1 vehicle; Bug or KG
The second digit indicates body style; in your case a "1" is a sedan
The third digit "9" indicates the year of production; 1969

The remaining digits are simply the sequential number of production; your Bug is the 66,831st produced in the 1969 production year.

Much more production information can be obtained by writing to the Stiftung Automuseum in Wolfsburg.  That will also cost you some Euros.

As to the engine........look at the bottom of the generator pedestal.  There you should see a single or double letter prefix followed by six or seven numbers.  That is your engine serial number.  It will tell a story about the engine AS IT LEFT THE FACTORY.  Of course, with 38 years in between, any number of things could have been changed in that engine.  More likely still is that your engine is NOT the original.  Post up the engine number and we'll tell you what we can.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Chris the Eagle

The number under the generator mount is:  H5438931
God Bless
Chris

69 A/S VW

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

OK!  I'll tell you about your engine.............but remember.................what you read next reflects its original condition, which may not be its present condition.

The H5 series of engines (to be distinguished from the H series of engines) began production in August of 1967.  Production continued until the end of the 1969 model year in July of 1969.  The H5 was a 1500 cc single port engine which developed 44 hp DIN and 53 hp SAE.  It was made for and installed in cars destined only for the North American (US and Canada) market.  And here's the exciting part, your car's sequential production number (438931) marks it having been produced early in the 1969 production year.  Chris, it is possible that you may have a car with its original engine.  That is rare in the Volkswagen world.

I would urge you to spend a few Euros and write to the Automuseum to see if your car was produced with engine number 438931.  That would be VERY cool.

Mike

1970 AS Bug

Chris the Eagle

Tell me if this is the right address:

Stiftung Auto Museum Volkswagen
Dieselstra?e 35
38446 Wolfsburg, Germany
God Bless
Chris

69 A/S VW

68autobug

in Australia We have a VIN number on later beetles , usually Supers
but its not the chassis number
You have to look under the seat...

My car has its original engine HO947694
and chassis number is 118714109
the speedo has 59680 miles on it...
I replaced the original MPH speedo with a metric KMH one..

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

That is the correct address.  I would add that the last time I checked, the going rate for a VW "birth certificate" was 20 Euros.  I think it might be a good idea for you to contact the Museum via e-mail first, get the correct amount and determine if there have been any recent changes in the process.

You should be able to contact them at:

extl.automuse@vwmail.de

Frau Neefe is the nice lady on the other end of the e-mail and I'm sure she can explain the ins and outs of doing business with the AutoMuseum.  Hmmmmmm......now that I think of it, you might be able to do the entire transaction via e-mail.  Might want to check that out also.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Chris the Eagle

I tried to email the lady in Germany, but my email would not send it to that address.  I found something interesting, I removed the carb to rebuild it and found a tag on it.  The tag number is 113129027J.  I also found a similar number on the intake manifold.  I believe that some of the parts on the engine aren't original.
God Bless
Chris

69 A/S VW

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

Dunno what to tell you about the e-mail address.  Except that I've had it laying around for quite some time.  It might be out of date.  But I'd bet that if you Google the Automuseum, yopu will turn up a working e-mail address.
Mike

1970 AS Bug