Author Topic: 69 auto stick wont go into gear  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Sam01

69 auto stick wont go into gear
« on: 15 August 2012, 15:07 »
The car turns on and I can hear the click when I move the shifter to the left or right but when I accutally go to shift into gear the car either grinds or sounds like it wants to shut off. I can only put the car into gear when its turned off. I'm very new DIY mechanic and a visual learner so if anyone out there has a solution to my delema with a few pics to go along with it I would greatly appreceat it.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: 69 auto stick wont go into gear
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2012, 16:02 »
Hi
it sounds like Your clutch servo isn't working.
so You can select gears. The clutch is probably OK.
Firstly, make sure there are two wires on the control valve in the top LHS of the engine
compartment.  One should be connected to the ignition.. via the coil or other ignition live connections on the carburetor. so you are really trying to select a gear without engaging the clutch in a manual car. check any fuses in the engine compartment also.
the other wire from the control valve goes to the bottom of the gear lever.
When You move the gear lever forwards or backwards into gear, as You move the gear lever, a switch in the gear lever operates the control valve which operates the clutch servo so You can select a gear ..
remember that these cars are over 40 years old.  I always advise that all the vacuum hoses are renewed as the old original hoses are usually cracked, and this causes the system to NOT work.  Once these are all replaced by good vacuum hoses , its much easier to find any other problems.  These cars were made very well and most still work perfectly once the hoses are replaced . There are adjustments you can make once the hoses are new if needed.
Do you know how to check electrical wiring?  Do you have an electrical multimeter?
and know how to use them?  The best person to work on Your car is you.
You would be lucky to find anyone who knows and can fix an autostick.  Most mechanics know nothing about them and many don't want to know or work on them.

check out some of the other posts here about crunching gears or hose replacement as I have given the type and length of hoses You can Use.

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline Sam01

« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 14:37 »
So if my clutch servo isnt working whats my next step or is this going to fix my issue. Thanks for the post.

Offline CarlIseminger

« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2012, 19:49 »
In your post you said you could hear the click when you moved the shifter from left to right.  The clutch servo only should work when you move the shifter from front to back.  If this might be what is wrong, lift the shift boot and see which way the slot at the top of the shifter is facing.  Should be front to back.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2012, 10:30 »
In your post you said you could hear the click when you moved the shifter from left to right.  The clutch servo only should work when you move the shifter from front to back.  If this might be what is wrong, lift the shift boot and see which way the slot at the top of the shifter is facing.  Should be front to back.

Yes Carl is correct
the slot at the top of the electrical part of the gearshifter under the rubber boot should be front=back..
so the electrical points work when You move the gear shifter REV-neutral-LOW
Drive 1 - Neutral= Drive 2 .. so moving the gearshifter side to side it should be in neutral..

Can You start the engine in gear?? as You shouldn't be able to..

the contacts in the gear shifter may be adjusted incorrectly or the wire coming out the bottom may be shorting out when the gear stick is moved side to side.. or the contacts are too close and they can operate with any slight movement..

LEE in Australia

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Offline Sam01

« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2012, 17:12 »
This is what I have under the boot and car wont start in gear.

Offline CarlIseminger

« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2012, 19:37 »
OK.  See that top nut on top where the shift lever enters the base?  That slot has to point forward and backward on the car.  Not side to side as it shows in the photo.  When you move the lever, it moves slightly in this slot.  This switches the control valve.  So if you are moving the lever into gear, as it is now, the control valve is not being activated, causing the grindning.

So hopefully, when you get this pointing forward and backward (in line with the tunnel) you should get better results.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2012, 09:25 »
OK on the car won't start in gear
so the gap in the points contact in the gear shifter lever is OK
that is You do have a gap there, and now it won't close to get a connection there
because as Carl says, the slot in the top of the gear shifter adjuster is incorrect.
I'm calling that part the adjuster piece with the slot, as basically that is what it is..
[it can be difficult naming these parts]
and your gear lever cannot move enough forwards or backwards to engage the clutch.

cheers

LEE in Australia

Offline Sam01

« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2012, 23:09 »
Does it matter wich way I turn the "adjustment sleeve?"; Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise to get it facing the right way? I would like to do it right the first time. 

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2012, 04:39 »

You will need to undo the locknut under the adjuster [it looks like clockwise to undo] then turn the adjuster clockwise then tighten the locknut [anti clockwise]
Luckily I had My old gear shifter here close by.

Adjust it once without tightening the locknut... see how it works.. if needed You can turn the adjuster [which has a spring a electrical points inside.] again and again if needed to get the shifter to work with little movement..

I pulled apart a spare gear shifter I had and fitted new points, and I must say it was a fiddly job screwing it all back together.
and getting it adjusted correctly.  You can have it with very little movement, so You can shift the gear lever very fast but it will be very touchy if someone touches it by accident.  Mine is adjusted so it ONLY works when pushing the gear lever forwards or backwards, so I can push it with My knee and nothing happens. 
 I'm thinking of adjusting it tighter so the points inside are very close to each other and I should be able to move the gear lever VERY fast...  but it would be sensitive to any touch which may NOT be a good idea..

cheers

LEE in Australia

adjusting nuts are actually LOCK NUTS  Lee

Offline CarlIseminger

« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2012, 19:49 »
I would say that if as of now, if you move the lever side to side and you hear the control valve being activated, I would just loosen the adjusting nut and give it a turn counter clockwise.  It looks to be closer that way.  Then test as Lee suggested.  I think the "correct" way of adjusting these contacts is to screw the slotted adjuster ALL the way down, and then back of just enough to get it to move.  Then adjust from there.

But it sounds like yours is adjusted "just enough" so I would start with just moving it counter clockwise enough to see what happens.  As Lee stated, it is a finicky adjustment.

And over time, for whatever reason, even though we tighten down the lock nut, the slot still moves, so you have to pay attention to this.  Probably why it is out of whack right now.

And as Lee also stated, ANY adjustments that are made to the various autostick parts that require adjusting, it only takes just a bit to make a HUGE difference. 

Offline Sam01

« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2012, 13:51 »
Thanks for all the help. Did exactly what ya'll suggested and readjusted sleave  to line up. Can shift into gear not with no grinding.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2012, 07:22 »
Hi
it looks like the adjuster needs to be tightened another turn..
so the points are closer together and they will open the clutch sooner.
if it still crunches the gears.. go another turn or as Carl suggested keep turning until the clutch servo is activated [in any gear] then go back slightly..
or at least until the slot is correct on the top..
Now You can further adjust it by the next threaded piece after undoing the bottom locknut
its  a very fiddly job...
 [sorry, I have pics of this but My computer won't allow Me to post them at the moment]

cheers

LEE in Australia

PS: I normally use reverse to get the clutch operation perfect.
If You can get into reverse without crunching... then its good in the other gears.
My Wife never crunched reverse in My beetle but I always did.. lol
Now I don't either... lol   Lee

« Last Edit: 05 September 2012, 07:24 by 68autobug »

anything