Author Topic: Errr, attaching clutch/bellhousing to gearbox?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline 71superAS

• Rattle, rattle
Errr, attaching clutch/bellhousing to gearbox?
« on: 23 September 2012, 01:18 »
Hi,

Dumb question I can't find in the searches:

How do you orient the clutch to install the bellhousing to the gearbox? I can't seem to get it aligned right.

I know you have the two 'fingers' that the servo arm pulls on. How do I arrange those fingers and the clutch to get it lined up right to slide the bellhousing back on?

At this moment, I can get the splines from the clutch and the gearbox in line, and I can get the two mated but there's about a 5mm gap between the bellhousing and the gearbox. All fingers line up and the splines mesh properly. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!
Patrick
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 03:13 by 71superAS »

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Errr, attaching clutch/bellhousing to gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2012, 11:38 »
Hi Patrick

I can't remember having any problems with the clutch
and I have done two gearboxes, the last one [now in My beetle] I pulled the clutch throw out bearing apart and re-greased it with lithium based moly grease.

the release bearing is sitting correctly?
its not an o ring jamming?
its not the small spigot bearing [needle roller with seal and small amount of grease] holding it?
the clutch arm isn't holding it?
5mm ...  could be the o rings?

I'll keep thinking and looking at manuals

J
ust read Your post again..  and You think its the clutch plate or bearing etc
stopping it closing up?  NOT Aligned correctly..

cheers

LEE in Australia

[/size]
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 11:41 by 68autobug »
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline 71superAS

• Rattle, rattle
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2012, 14:13 »
Yeah, I have the clutch installed in the bellhousing complete. The next step is to attach it to the gearbox. I just removed this bellhousing from another gearbox.

I can't get the two to attach correctly, and it seems nothing is stopping them. I get the two 'fingers' from clutch lined up in the depressions where they fit, but it just doesn't close right. Very silly.

****UPDATE**** - Got it figured out! You need to engage the pullers right as you're sliding the bellhousing on. Spin the servo arm to engage the pullers as you are mating the splines and the bellhousing just slides on like a glove. Beautiful. I just finished flushing the gerbox with kerosene and now I am ready to fill it back up with hypoid oil [treating it to some of the good stuff] and then reinstalling the gearbox. :D
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 16:30 by 71superAS »

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2012, 07:06 »
Hi
Good work
The clutch bearing is a different bearing in which it is PULLED by the two arms into the pressure plate fingers .. back to front like... lol   took Me ages to find that out.... lol

please note that synthetic oil will leak thru anything it can...  like stud threads bolts etc
I had read this about manual VW gearboxes too...

cheers

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug