Author Topic: Hi Guys, New Gear New Problem...  (Read 1304 times)

Offline egarnica

Hi Guys, New Gear New Problem...
« on: 16 January 2014, 07:15 »
Hey guys, happy new years. Hope everyone here is doing well. Ok, so here's the recent: I haven't had my car running in about a week. It's a 73 super beetle as. What was once a beautifully running machine gave me more and more trouble until I pretty much couldn't get it to turn over in early December. I got A LOT of stuff replaced. Too many to name, long story short I decided to replace my Carb and Distributor. I installed those today. My Brosol 30/31 just got replaced with a perfect condition made in Germany 34pict3, complements of Tim over at VolkzBitz. I also got my hands on a rebuilt 113 905 205 AH distributor. From what I understand this is the distributor that originally came with the car. I  may be wrong though, but I wanted to be true to the original. So the good: whereas before I had so much trouble starting the car my attempts would literally drain the battery I now turn the ignition and the car starts in a split second, purring healthy as can be. Only problem now is hesitation. It also seems a little slower when going to second gear on the freeway, as if it has a little less power. Is this something I just need to get use to with this new combination of carb/dist? As for the hesitation, it mostly occurs when on first after initial acceleration after being at a light. Why is this? Is the timing different on this carb perhaps? Could there be a problem with my distributor? Other than those issues, the car is running fantastic. If you have any suggestions regarding timing, let me know the numbers and modifications I can try. I have tomorrow off so I'll be monkeying around with these issues for sure...

ps- i replaced all the vacuum lines exactly like they were on the old distributor and carb. I assumed all the connections are the same, correct?

Offline olgunc

• www.alestasigorta.com
Re: Hi Guys, New Gear New Problem...
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2014, 10:09 »
Hi egarnica,
Try adjusting vacuum control unit 1/2 left or 1/2 right. If the problem cannot be solved, there seems to be a minor vacuum leak.
Also check the atf oil level and oil pump. If there isn't enough oil pressure that may cause to go to second gear slowly,,,

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Hi Guys, New Gear New Problem...
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2014, 12:32 »
Hi
Sounds like a problem with the distributor and or the carburetor...??
but probably the distributor... maybe the timing is incorrect..
I believe You would have two vacuum cans on the distributor - retard plus advance??
so, two vacuum hoses??  from memory You need to take the two vacuum hoses off the carby and plug both  the ports on the carby to adjust the timing...
All this info would be on VWAR..  You just need to find it... try searching using the distributor number or 34PICT3 etc..
If one of the vacuum cans isn't working??  that maybe the problem.. You can use just the advance vacuum can and time it like an SVDA distributor....

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

anything