Author Topic: Now she is jumping out of 1st gear.  (Read 414 times)

Offline billyzack

Now she is jumping out of 1st gear.
« on: 23 January 2017, 03:13 »
I got the clutch to nagged smoothly, thanks to you guys, she shifts great, idles, Lots of power but now she is slipping out of gear into neutral from 1st gear when I accelerate.  Never did this before.  Whatever holds it in gear is letting go.  I need someone that knows Autostick trannies.  I live in Phoenix.  Has anyone had this problem?  I'm lost.  I've searched the Internet and all I've read is some vague answers.  It seems like a fairly common problem.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!  Billy

Offline cwitte87

Re: Now she is jumping out of 1st gear.
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2017, 23:21 »
Mine pops out of high gear just the same though as soon as the throttle is applied. Did you figure yours out ?

Offline itskyle

« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2017, 03:47 »
Worst case scenario-tranny needs rebuilt.

Best case scenario?   Faulty switch on gear?

Not an expert on these, more of an aficionado.

Kyle

Offline cwitte87

« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2017, 15:47 »
What is the switch on gear?

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2017, 02:34 »
cwitte87,
             A few to check. There is the shifter contacts themselves. The tranny stop plate position under the gearstick, the shift rod nylon support & the shift rod coupling at the back of the car (under the rear seat there is an inspection plate). There is a Neutral Safety switch on the gearbox nose cone. There are also detent springs & balls, for them - just check whether the plugs are there. Are all of your tranny mounts fit for purpose?

To Billy & cwitte87,
                           The issue can be external or it can be internal. Everything external can be done by a backyardie or what the US brethren call a shadetree mechanic. If it is internal - then you either dive in, or hand it to a Pro with the tooling. One of the most common causes is your synchro rings giving up or becoming too sloppy. An even worse case is your bearings, gear teeth etc has worn too much.

So....unless you are confident, do the external stuff first - then decide if you want to bite-the-bullet or pay someone else. AS's only utilize the top 3 gears of a manual trans - synchromesh rings are nothing special (no AS specific ones). You do need the tools, unless you are a competent machinist.

A spot of cold comfort - but that's all there is........

Volkenstein
« Last Edit: 21 December 2017, 02:37 by volkenstein »
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

anything