73 Beetle Auto Stick

Started by vw Parker, 08 February 2017, 01:44

Previous topic - Next topic

vw Parker

Purchased auto stick 73 Beetle auto stick haven't driven one before any recommendation best way to start and drive

Thanks

volkenstein

vw Parker,
              Start in neutral ;D..on a serious note...use L, D1 & D2. DO NOT stick it in D2 and motor around. D1 & 2 will see you right for most traffic.

Oh,,btw...Hand OFF the gearstick whilst driving.

Now....You may or may not have the "Park" feature...do you know? It came out in mid '73 ish.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

CarlIseminger

While it isn't the best solution, dealerships in the US sometimes told new buyers of the autostick, if shifting was a "problem", to just leave it in R2 and putt putt away.

If it is terribly slippery out (I drive it year round up here in the Great White North), I leave it in R2 as it makes for easier starts on the slippery stuff.

I use L for faster acceleration when pulling out into heavy traffic.

68autobug

Hi
I always use the three forward gears... I start off in Low, then change to D1 and the D2  . I only live in a small town, but I can beat most cars off the traffic lights in LOW gear...  VW says to use LOW gear when driving up a step driveway or when parking... I feel using D1 for parking is stupid as it is very powerful and You could drive over a car etc... D1 is better for parking...
VW has listed the top speeds for each gear , I will find them and list them here......  There are many people now using the 3 gears without any problems...

LEE
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug