1969 VW Beetle wont go into gear

Started by carolj1951, 18 July 2017, 19:35

Previous topic - Next topic

carolj1951

I have a 1969 VW beetle that I can't get in gear.  The car has been sitting for approximatly 8 months and was fine when parked in garage.  I wanted to take it out and wash it so I had to push from garage due to dead battery.  Charged battery and started car but won't go in gear.  Turned car off and it goes into gear fine.  Put in first and stepped on clutch and started car and it lurched forward like I wasn't even stepping on the clutch.  Have not tried anything yet.  Any ideas / help?

itskyle

We are an automatic forum, so your bit about putting your foot on the clutch is probably mystifying some of us.

Present company included, of course.

Anyhow, I will take a stab..

If this is an autostick (only 2 pedals, brake and gas, not 3 pedals clutch brake and gas)
then it could be neutral safety switch needs looked at?

If this is a manual, perhaps you are low on transmission oil?

Or, maybe shift coupler needs adjusting.

let us know how many pedals you find underneath steering wheel.

Kyle

carolj1951

Kyle, sorry didn't realize it was an automatic forum. I have 3 pedals.

68autobug

Hi Carol,
Well, most manual Beetle owners used to carry a spare "CLUTCH CABLE" and throttle cable as either can stretch and break at any time. The clutch cable actually snaps the many threads of steel a little at a time which means Your clutch needs adjusting.. On top of Your gearbox You will find the clutch cable coming out of the center tunnel and into a lever on the gearbox. Now Your beetle should have a" wing nut" which your cable will go thru, and all You need to do is turn the "Wing Nut" about 1/2 a full turn [clockwise] to tighten the clutch cable, if that doesn't work, try another  1/2 turn.
Now from memory, the clutch cable usually breaks near the end of the clutch pedal [inside the tunnel, or on the side of the tunnel in a square box} Our pedal are on the Right Hand side in Australia so it is slightly different. Now the good news... the clutch cables are NOT expensive plus they can be fitted in a very short time by anyone who has worked on VW beetles... Old or very old, very similar... A Newer mechanic would probably NOT have a clue on how to fit a clutch cable.....  Looking for an older mechanic ..maybe retired...

LEE in Australia

I have sent You a personal message with price and part number etc...

LEE
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug