Author Topic: Tow  (Read 170 times)

Offline Willyb

Tow
« on: 11 August 2017, 17:39 »
I'm sure this question has been discussed but I caint seem to locate it anywhere. Just checking if it will be ok to use a tow bar on a 1973 super with an autostick. Since I got to leave key on to keep my steering wheel from locking will it be ok to just unhook battery? Thanks.

Offline itskyle

Re: Tow
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2017, 08:31 »
The main thing here is,

you want it to STAY IN NEUTRAL AND NOT HAVE THE STEERING WHEEL LOCK AT ALL COSTS!

Also, you didn't specify how long/what kind of a tow...

Kyle

Offline Willyb

« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2017, 03:53 »
The tow will be 30 miles there and 30 miles back. Around ones a month to camping grounds. As far as what kind of tow I really have not researched that part yet. Thanks.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Towing an autostick 30 miles
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2017, 13:39 »

Hi,
Yes, I cannot see any problem with towing an autostick 30 miles.  Just wondering why You need to do this. In Australia, in a country town, I see a small vehicle being towed behind a larger RV vehicle every weekend.  Many motorhomes have been made from old Buses which tour around the country towing a smaller car, and the most popular towed vehicle is a SUZUKI Vitara 4wd.  I've never inquired to find out about the steering lock.... but I presume You just push the key in and turn onto accessories, but You would need to isolate the battery. Also, the rear lamps need to work in unison with the towing vehicle, at least in Australia.   I don't know what will happen with new vehicles that have an electrical steering lock, that engage when the power to the engine stops... It would also probably be easier not to use the towed cars rear lamps, but have extra lights on a board attached to the rear bumper so nothing in the car needs to be modified.... Never really thought about that??

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline kimbill

« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2017, 07:55 »
Unlock wheel, neutral, disconnect batt and do it.  Years ago we towed an AS 2500 mi, and it still shifts (if I keep the neutral switch clean)

Offline tmea

« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2017, 02:03 »
I have towed mine hundreds of miles on a tow bar. As already stated. Ensure it is in neutral and the e-brake is off. On a relate denote if you have not towed with a bar before make sure you unwind from your slow turns easily and slowly to allow for your wheels to re-center or they will begin to bounce back and forth from lock to lock. If this happens slow down to 1 mph or so and it will re-center.

Tom