Author Topic: 69 AS beetle sending smoke signals...  (Read 828 times)

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: 69 AS beetle sending smoke signals...
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2017, 06:09 »
The only down side I can see with the ATF seals is that they run in the same spot so the shaft may be slightly worn.  The black one runs in a different place to the red ones. They measure just about the same Internal diameter.  I just used a metal screw driver to peen the seal in 4-5 places... tapped with a small steel hammer...  I've always be able to remove the seals when replacing them without damaging them...  I've heard of the seals popping off if NOT peened... but can't remember any popping off if peened..  Don't forget to replace the two small seals inside the dual oil pump...

LEE in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline sb001

« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2017, 03:11 »
I just don't understand all this trouble lots of folks are having with the TC seals at all-- there are also a couple people over on the Samba with similar issues, one just gave up and went ahead and converted his much to my dismay. I replaced my TC seal about 2 years ago and there have been zero problems. Either these seals are not being manufactured properly anymore, or thre is something going wrong in the installation procedure--which I can't imagine what it could be. What are you using to tap the seal into place? I used a 36mm socket where I could tap it in evenly- could that possibly be the issue?
Are you absolutely sure it is leaking from the SEAL, and not the banjo hose fittings on the input/ output ATF hoses at the bell housing? 
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 03:13 by sb001 »

Offline LaLa69

« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2017, 15:43 »
Update!  After removing the engine and inspecting the tc seal, it appeared good.  So, I looked at the one way clutch carrier and I could wiggle it.  Not cool as they are bolted through the bell housing with socket head bolts.  So, pulled the bell housing and found all 8 were loose!!  As a result, the clutch carrier seal and gasket were toast.  Replaced the seal and gasket and applied lock tite to the socket heads.  I also put a new tc seal on while the clutch support was out and it made peening it much easier.  Reassembled all of this and the tc that was just remanned didn't want to play.  The babbet on the inside mating surface had cracked, so I didn't have clearance.  My daughter brought my parts I had bought from Chicago and one of the tc was fine.  Installed it, put the engine in, an no atf leaks.  What a saga.

Now, about these damn flexplate bolts...

Offline LaLa69

« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2017, 06:19 »
Took the bug out for a shakedown ride and it did well.  No leaks now and running well.  Thanks for all the help and I hope someone can learn from this saga.

Tim

Offline sb001

« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2017, 05:12 »
LaLa it is FANTASTIC to hear you found the issue and got this straightened out-- thanks very much for the followup! I will definitely keep this in mind in case someone else has a similar issue- I can almost guarantee you the guy over on the samba that had a similar issue probably had the same problem with the clutch carrier. Wish I had known I would've told him how to fix it before he converted it!

Offline tmea

« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2018, 20:11 »
SB001 et.al:

Glad you found your problem. In relation to your previous post on seals. See a post (I donít know how to paste it into here) ďA tale of two sealsĒ on this site. There are three seals available. The blac and orange one. The third one is also black but is an Indian or Chinese knockoff. The sealing surface on the knockoff one does not have any of the tiny oil carrier ridges cut into the sealing surface. In my case it failed (ripped apart) due to heat and lack of lubrication in less than 30 minutes. It literally tore apart. If you look at the sealing surface of the originals, both black and orange they have oil carrier ridges like any normal seal. The knock off looks identical but does not have the oil ridges. I believe these are sold by CIP 1. They will fail quickly every time. We should develop a warning section on the site to warn everyone of these issues. That is one of the reasons I wrote the post and put the pictures of the seals in. Since then I have read a couple other failures for the same reason.

Tom

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2018, 04:54 »
Hi again Tom,
[/color]Yes that had Me stumped too, a seal falling apart, but I have found many chinese parts very inferior. It seems that they go on how the part looks. If it looks identical then it must be the same..!!!  I have also heard of Chinese made parts with incorrect size holes or Pins... The Holes in some items in which a pin should be interference fit has been made larger so the pin will slip in easier???? or the pins have been made smaller to go thru the hole they were made to go thru... and I have also heard of items being made too large [so they would last longer???] but do not fit at all...
[/color]and I know of an Australian importer who has boxes of Chinese made distributors that just do not work...  They look great but the springs in the distributor are made to length and size NOT TENSION..  so, naturally do NOT work at all...
[/color]
[/color]Lee in Australia  [still VERY HOT 38c]
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug