Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 355 times)

Offline paulheger

Introduction
« on: 09 March 2018, 15:06 »
Hi All,
I'm Paul from Belgium, driving a 1969 convertible 1500 autostick.
I've been reading a while here to learn for my car, as the autosticks (semi automatics called here) are quite rare, so no local knowledge to find.

The previous owner put in a 1600 (AS code) engine. I'm putting a 1500 back in this spring.
1969 type 1 - 1500 conv - semi automatic

Offline sb001

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2018, 22:04 »
Welcome Paul! Let us know if you have any questions about the autostick (or semi-automatic, or "automatic stick shift.")  ;)
Lots of folks here willing to lend a hand!

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2018, 12:26 »
Hi Paul,
Why are You replacing the 1600cc engine for a 1500 ??? My car is a 1968 [called semi automatics here too] 1500 beetle but the engine is a 1600 single port.
You should get better fuel economy with a 1500, but not a large difference.....  There are very few people who know anything about autosticks [semi automatics] and all the VW trained mechanics have all retired or died.  Many mechanics who work on manual air cooled Volkswagen beetles know nothing about the "complicated" semi automatics.
You will need to get the Robert Bentley [VW of America] Technical Manual or any other manual which shows how the semi automatic works and how to fix anything that stops working. All the vacuum hoses probably need replacing if they haven't already been replaced, as they can leak causing many problems. Replacing the ATF hoses is also a good idea. The wire going to the gear shifter usually needs replacing before it shorts out, after the PVC covering comes off due to flexing when You change gear.
VW Beetle convertibles [actually cabriolets because the roof is padded] are very rare in Australia.

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline paulheger

« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2018, 16:20 »
Hi Lee,
Very late response, but I missed your reply.

Hi Paul,
Why are You replacing the 1600cc engine for a 1500 ??? My car is a 1968 [called semi automatics here too] 1500 beetle but the engine is a 1600 single port.
You should get better fuel economy with a 1500, but not a large difference..... 

I have changed the engine because I want the car to be as original as possible. The 1500's have only been made for 3 years and a 1974 1600 double port engine does not do the car any justice IMO. I have rebuild a 1500 SP engine with a H-code carter, but due to the price of 1500 cylinders and pistons I do have fitted 1600's. So actually it's a H-code 1600 SP engine ;-)

VW Beetle convertibles [actually cabriolets because the roof is padded] are very rare in Australia.
Lee in Australia

So do I understand correct that a padded roof is a cabriolet and a hard top a convertible? Never knew there was a difference, not an English native tongue...

In the general topics I have added a picture of my convertible this morning (C.E.T.)

1969 type 1 - 1500 conv - semi automatic

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2018, 09:58 »

Hi Paul, Your Beetle Cabriolet is beautiful... Very rare in Australia as they were NOT sold in Australia..
I actually replied to Your other post with pictures of your Cabriolet... and Yes, I thought that making a 1500 engine would be difficult these days...
My engine was from an early VW 1500 type 3 - the pancake engine. It is now a 1600 single port engine.. the single port engine has slightly more torque than a 1600 dual port engine.... but slightly less horsepower...
Does Your car have an earth strap between the end of the gearbox and the chassis??? they had them originally...
I have added more than one earth strap to My engine/gearbox..

cheers from Australia

LEE
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug