Author Topic: UK auto stick parts  (Read 371 times)

Offline folkswagon

UK auto stick parts
« on: 20 January 2019, 11:35 »
Finally getting around to getting my 1968 semi auto bug back on the road (after 11 years!) so want to drop the engine and check the clutch over (strange torque converter/transmission noise investigation) but I read on here that ‘You need to replace the Torque converter SEAL, the two Engine oil/ATF dual pump SEALS, and the main crankshaft SEAL’.... but where is this available now, ideally in the UK?
1968 VW Automatic 1500

Offline Raymond73

• TheSamba
Re: UK auto stick parts
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2019, 15:57 »
'70 AS, 30 PICT-3

Offline folkswagon

« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2019, 16:19 »
Thanks Raymond, thought I’d already looked there, obviously not well enough :)
1968 VW Automatic 1500

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2019, 16:36 »
I got all My spares from the USA.... usually CIP1 also many other places over the years.. some are now gone... also on ebay for used bits etc..
but the air freight from the USA now makes it too expensive... I have just bought 2 CV joint boots and rear brake cylinders from the UK...  Just Kampers and Heritage are good, but getting autostick ONLY parts is getting very hard, and CIP1 maybe the only place to get the Torque converter seal now???
The reason I believe the torque converter seal needs to be replaced is that over time it gets very hard due to heat, and when the engine is removed.. the shaft in the seal always moves slightly... the lip of the seal moves but because it has gone hard it doesn't bounce back as new soft seals do.... I prefer the red TC seal with two inner lips... place a bit of ATF on the lips with your finger so it is lubricated from the start...  I would also replace the engine crankshaft seal as You can with the engine out. These are also very cheap... I would also recommend pulling the CV Joints off the axles and clean them and then repack them fully with LITHIUM based MOLY GREASE... even if they have grooves worn in them, as they will have... The lithium MOLY grease will make your CV Joints last virtually forever.. I always fill them up and then fill the CV Boot too...  You can also replace the axle seals and plastic caps too....

cheers from Australia

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline The Keszthely Kid

« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2019, 19:18 »
Hey up Lad,

Try ebay.de or ebay.at and type in VW KAFER HALB-AUTOMATIK.
 I have purchased a few bits n bobs via that route for my automatic '73 KG Coupe  ;)
Semi-Automatic Karmann Ghia's need love too.
Especially the '72 to '74 Fatties