Those of you who've taken apart a clutch servo canister....

Started by sb001, 30 March 2018, 22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

sb001

Thanks all! I look forward to fighting this band clamp when I get my repair kit in...  ;D

68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

sb001

Whew! Got the repair kit in today-- canister is fixed and back together:

You guys weren't lying, that band clamp is a pain to install. The only way I was able to do it was using those large vice grips off to the side in that photo to hold the two ends squeezed together and just managed to get the bolt through and the nut spun on.

I wasn't able to keep the servo arm quite centered coming out of the canister, but the can seems to be holding vacuum fine, so I guess it's OK.
Hope I don't have to do that again for a while. Thanks to everyone for your help!

autonewbie

Glad you got it all together.  Not a fun job and the bolt they supply was too short for me. I used a longer bolt and once it was all together and tight I then cut off the end of the bolt.
Happy motoring!
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

68autobug

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

sb001

Hey guys, dumb question- there are spacers that go on the mounting bolts for the clutch canister. When i took my canister off, I did not look to see whether they go on the outside of the bracket (clutch arm side) or the inside of the bracket (up against the canister.) Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

autonewbie

Up against the canister so They are sandwiched between the bracket and the servo.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

sb001

Thanks! I found an old photo I took a couple years ago that I posted over on the samba, it showed what you said.

Speedsterautoshift

Hope your new diaphragm does not squeak and then stop giving you a smooth take off.  Mine did this so the clutch does the change fine in top two gears but is a bit rapid and crunchy in first and reverse.
But when first fitted it was a dream.

Maybe some french chalk on the rubber?

John

68autobug

I always advise to adjust the clutch adjuster until You can go into reverse without crunching...   Once You can go into reverse without crunching then the system is working great...
Once You have replaced the clutch servo bladder then You probably need to re-adjust the clutch so no crunching...
if it doesn't crunch in reverse then it won't crunch anywhere else...

Lee in Australia...