Author Topic: Another Vacuum Leak Fixed  (Read 2635 times)

Offline volkenstein

Re: Another Vacuum Leak Fixed
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2020, 01:17 »
Checker,
           Clutch servo check now. Your CV is functioning just fine.

Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline Checker

« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2020, 02:48 »
Volkenstein,

Thanks, that will be checked in a few months from now obviously since I cannot acces the underneeth of the car for the winter.

Take care all, with this pandemic, I will keep on reading you guys throughout winter and I'm already looking forward to April to continue my troubleshooting...

I will keep you guys posted as everyone benefits from the other's experience on a forum like this one.

Happy 2021 to everyone !

Offline Checker

« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2020, 23:04 »
I didn't think I would write on this discussion before spring 2021 but I managed to move one step more in the troubleshooting by taking advantage of last weeks "heat wave" to reach the underneath of the Bug.

I removed the Servo actuator, did a bench check by blocking the vacuum hose port while trying to move the actuating rod, can't move it either way. Moves fine with the port opened allowing air to go in and out.

The pin that attaches the Servo rod to the Clutch arm was very hard to remove, rusty. I will clean everything up, put it ready for re-installation in spring. The servo looks original, not having this aftermarket clamp on it.

Volkenstein, would you replace the servo diaphragm anyway or not ?

Do you think that my loose wire to the Valve's solenoid could have been the problem ?

Would you check anything else before actually trying the car again ?

Checker

Offline bhartwell59

• strategy + unique ideas = greater awareness & results
« Reply #18 on: 23 November 2020, 16:26 »
Well, I finally tracked down the vac leak... turned out to be the servo diaphragm.

I did buy a used CV unit off The Samba and installed it with no affect on my erratic idle. No biggie, I could use an extra CV just in case.

3 weeks later, I had difficulty getting into gear. Took the servo off to inspect and found a 5/8" tear in the rubber diaphragm. Replaced, installed, and for some reason, no more erratic idle.

How the servo could play a part in the erratic idle is a mystery... at least to me.

1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

Offline Raymond73

• TheSamba
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2020, 23:14 »
How the servo could play a part in the erratic idle is a mystery... at least to me.

Weird. There is an adjustment in the linkage for clutch servo freeplay too. Maybe the previous adjustment was too tight, causing a slight engagement of the clutch arm? When you replaced the servo with the new rubber seal, maybe you fixed two problems?
'70 AS, 30 PICT-3