Cain’t shift

Started by Willyb, 19 May 2018, 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Willyb

My 1973 has a aftermarket radio some one installed many years ago. My problem is sometimes while driving the radio will just cut off and I can not shift in any gear. Sounds like some wire is tied into another wire that should not be and is a little loose. I have no idea where to start to find the problem. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

sb001

If stock wiring, then your autostick control valve's power lead wire comes off #11 fuse up at the fuse block. (Earlier models were tied into the ignition coil in the engine bay for a power source, but starting in 1971-- i think-- VW moved that wire to fuse #11 on the fuse block up front.)
If your control valve is indeed connected at #11 fuse, it will be a black wire coming off the fused side of that fuse. You can disconnect wires from that fuse (if more than 1) and then reconnect, and listen for the control valve to click in the engine bay, to determine which wire it is. If your radio's power lead is connected there as well, and is shorting out somehow (which is what it sounds like) then it might affect the control valve in that instant as well as that circuit will be grounding out before power reaches the control valve.

Willyb

Thank you very much. The radio power was tied into the number 11 Spot. Thanks

68autobug

You can hook Your control valve to any wire or connector that is connected to the IGNITION.... so it works with the IGNITION Turned on...
Oddly enough, I never ever connect My Radio - CD Player etc to the ignition... so I can play the unit without having the key turned ON..

LEE
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

sb001

Quote from: 68autobug on 31 May 2018, 12:04
Oddly enough, I never ever connect My Radio - CD Player etc to the ignition... so I can play the unit without having the key turned ON..

LEE

Actually that is exactly how the radios were installed at the dealership--to a constant battery powered fuse-- for a very good reason: whenever you have the key in the ON position, the wire to the coil (and through the coil condenser wire down to the points in the distributor) is always hot, therefore if the radios were installed such that you had to turn the ignition on to listen to the radio, you would burn up your points.