Confused on adusting the clutch

Started by CarlIseminger, 09 July 2018, 17:21

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlIseminger

Ok, I have read the documents, but I am still a bit confused when adjusting the clutch.  I think my clutch is slipping ever so slightly.  It hasn't been adjusted since it was installed 8 or so years ago.  So probably needs some attention.

I was under there this weekend and I moved the adjusting nuts so that more threads are showing.  So the rod appears to be longer.  I thought this was the correct direction, but it still slips ever so little. 

Buy as I ponder the situation, since it "pushes" the clutch arm, I actually made it so the clutch arm doesn't  go back all the way now?  Am I thinking this through correctly?  So I was actually making it slip more?

autonewbie

I can't help you concerning the proper way to adjust the clutch but I do know that any leakage of fluid onto the clutch will cause some slippage. That is what my problem turned out to be several years ago. A new clutch and new seals fixed the problem.  My neighbor, a retired VW mechanic did the work for me so I don't have any direct experience to share. Also there is usually near zero wear on these autostick clutches as the torque converter does all the work.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

CarlIseminger

I know about the leakage as that is why I had to have a new clutch installed about 20,000 miles ago. 

Noticed the "slipping" this past winter, but thought it was the icy streets I drive on.  Didn't realize that the slight, very slight lurch at take off was probably a slipping clutch.

And since the books say that the clutch does need to be adjusted, I figured after 20,000 miles, it probably did need a tweak or two.

At least, I am hoping it is this and not a leak again.

sb001

Can't help with the clutch slippage issue (although it DOES say that one possible cause is the freeplay needing adjustment so I think you're fine trying that.)
In regards to your post about adjusting the freeplay-- remember what you ultimately want is NO MORE than 4mm distance between the edge of the adjuster sleeve closest to the servo canister, and the outside edge of the canister mounting bracket. It's probably best to have about 2-3mm of clearance there. A relatively thick piece of corrugated cardboard can serve as a good measuring tool.
Whether or not you do a freeplay adjustment is based on this clearance measurement. If you had 4mm clearance or less between the servo mounting bracket and the edge of the adjuster sleeve, then the freeplay is most likely not your issue. And indeed, the two other possible causes of this symptom listed in the autostick section are ATF fluid or oil on the clutch facings, or worn clutch facings.
Do you get this slippage regularly throughout acceleration? Or just right after taking off from a stop?

CarlIseminger

"When" do I measure the distance between edge of the adjusting sleeve and the canister?  Do I measure when at "rest", or do I pull it out of the canister to measure.

I only have slippage when I start out from a stop.  And I don't have slippage if I accelerate slowly, but only when I step on it.  And it happens in all three forward gears.  Haven't been brave enough to stomp on it in reverse.   :)

sb001

Measure without pulling the arm outward. At "rest." If the edge of the adjuster sleeve is actually inside the canister a bit (negative distance) then you are OK- as long as that distance between the mounting bracket and the edge of the sleeve is NO GREATER than 4mm.

68autobug

I have always adjusted the clutch so You can select reverse without crunching, I tried all the measuring things many years ago without success, and I had taken the clutch arm off altogether... Once I found that the clutch bearing was pulled rather than pushed, made all the difference. There should be no slippage at all.  The clutch plate should really last just about forever with NO slippage. I remember someone measuring their old clutch plate what had done a lot of klms/miles with a new clutch plate and found them the same thickness..!! So, once You can select reverse without crunching, everything should be OK... turning the clutch adjuster 1/4 turn at a time when adjusting..

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug