Lets talk large vacuum hose

Started by autonewbie, 13 November 2018, 17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

autonewbie

The large vacuum hose that connects to the control valve, vacuum tank, servo, and intake manifold seems to be impossible to buy in the USA. Yes there are proper diameter hoses available but they are not reinforced to prevent collapse. Belmetric use to sell wire reinforced braided hose but that hose has been discontinued.
Someone on here from down under mentioned they use a certain hose that works and is available there but I can't find it sold anywhere in the USA. (Even tho it is made in the USA)
Right now I don't actually need any of this hose but I am planning for the day that I do. Currently my thought is to buy any old hose of the correct diameter and slide a coil spring inside the hose to prevent collapse.  They do this on the lower radiator hoses of many cars to prevent collapse.
The problem is finding the right diameter spring and of sufficient length.
As I kid I worked in my Fathers hardware store and I recall long springs inside the core of window shades. I have no idea if they are still made that way but it is the only spring I can think of that might work.
Anyone on here have any ideas or a good source for large vacuum line that won't collapse?
Ken
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

ebbingnl

Hi,

Do you live in a bit agriculture area? Could try asking a milking equipment suplier, milking machines work on vacuĆ¼m, and they use different diameters of hose.
Gerwin
'73 Automatiek (2x)
Gerwin

autonewbie

Not in an agricultural area but your idea is very interesting. I will see what I can learn about this type of hose.
Thanks!
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

tmea

Brake booster vacuum line of the correct diameter. Available almost anywhere. Had it on mine for a few years before I bought the Bel-Metric. Works fine.

Tom

68autobug

Hi
Any 1/2 inch hose [inside diameter] that will not bend in half when bent over with your hand.

Try some oil hose, or radiator bypass hoses and you will find they will bend right over - NOT USEABLE

There are many types of hose You can use. I have used an air brake hose used on tractor trailers - semi trailers in Australia -   made in the USA - POWAFLEX 12.7mm multipurpose hose... wall pressure 300 psi.
I have also used some that was 13mm and a much higher wall pressure... and all worked perfectly...

I have seen clear air pressure hose used, although  I wouldn't recommend it...
but it goes very hard with the heat from the engine and then it cannot be sucked in....
[/size] I have seen it in engine compartments...   so there are many different types of hose You can use.

[/size]Gates may make a Vacuum hose with 12.7mm or 1/2 inch Inside Diameter that should work...
[/size]Brake booster hose ???

[/size]Lee in Australia

[/size]
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

autonewbie

Thank you all for some great suggestions, I now feel that there will no problem when I replace my vacuum hoses.
Ken

68autobug

I have even seen water hose used, that had gone hard from being in the sun for some years and was VERY HARD.....
The problem with using that type of hose would be getting it sealed with clamps because it had gone very hard and wasn't flexible...   and then there was the guy that used a long vacuum hose as His control valve didn't work... He then had a hand trigger attached to the gear lever so He could activate the clutch so He could change gears....  it did work.... but He probably drove in top gear all the time as changing gears would have been very difficult...

LEE in Australia....

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

sb001

autonewbie, what you want is VW part # N-020-390-1.

This is the standard 12mm metal braid reinforced vacuum hose for the autostick. TBH I don't know why people keep posting on this site to use something else. It is also used for brake booster hose on the buses and is available through a variety of outlets, just google VW N-020-390-1. Most outlets (especially the VW dealerships) only sell it by the meter, if you are replacing all the 12mm hoses that may be the way to go. West Coast metric has it and sells it by the foot:

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22967687-n-020-390-1.html

It is not exactly inexpensive but it IS the correct part.

68autobug

Hi sb001,
I was just answering the question, I presumed they had read the articles on the original vacuum hose which is difficult to get in Australia..
and many owners may not want to use the cotton covered vacuum hose... I don't like it as it does collect oil fumes and can get very dirty... plus I cannot paint the cotton covered hose.... !!  lol...   
I should have asked whether they wanted the original type of cotton covered hose.... or not...  but not everyone wants their engine or car to look the same as it was originally...  I don't

Lee in Australia....

autonewbie

Thanks everyone!  And sb001, I never knew WCM sold this hose. The reason for my post was my concern that
Belmetric stopped selling the metal reinforced hose. As far as I knew they were the last source for that hose. Thanks to you I am now aware of a second source.
Thanks again!!

rayar3

Edited from my original post: Ordered it from my local VW dealership using the same VW number from WCM. It is a 1 meter length and retail is $50. They discounted it to $35, but you need about 4 feet for an entire car. 2 meters at $70 was still cheaper than WCM. It's the same exact stuff a the original wire reinforced hose.
Ray

1971 Clementine Orange Super Beetle AS
1973 Marina Blue Beetle Sedan AS