Author Topic: The weirdest autostick issue ever encountered....  (Read 104 times)

Offline sb001

The weirdest autostick issue ever encountered....
« on: 13 February 2019, 15:36 »
So get this. Every morning when I drive my bug to work (about a 40 minute drive one way) when I get to my workplace I put the bug into reverse to back into a parking spot- then after I am parked no matter what, I cannot get it back out of reverse into neutral with engine still running (I have to shut the engine off to cut power to the servo.) But here's the deal-- it ONLY happens at this specific instance!! It has no problem going into and out of reverse backing out of my driveway, no problem when I go to the store, no problem even when I return home from work (same drive the other way.) It is ONLY after driving to work in this parking lot that I have this issue!!! I can also go into and out of every OTHER gear here, and I can go INTO reverse but it ALWAYS gets stuck there. I mean, aside from it being the actual physical position of the car in this lot ( a very slight downhill slope) I cannot figure out for the life of me why it would ONLY happen in this particular instance! LOL  :P
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 15:38 by sb001 »

Offline sb001

Re: The weirdest autostick issue ever encountered....
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2019, 18:55 »
Also, if I take off at lunch to get something to eat, and back into the parking space again upon return, I have NO problem pulling it out of reverse. It's only that morning 40 minute drive that causes it. Go figure...

Offline Dave

• 1973 Autostick
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2019, 22:10 »
Something to do with inclines affecting it maybe?   Very odd ! :)
1300 1973 Beetle Autostick - Amber Orange - Tombstone rear lights

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2019, 02:19 »
Sounds like the 40 minute drive is needed to produce the failure.
Have you had the early morning time to sit there for 10 minutes idling in neutral and then tried to go into reverse?
Are there any long hills on the approach to your work?
And, only because I am curious, what kind of work do you do?
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

Offline sb001

« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2019, 03:42 »
Sounds like the 40 minute drive is needed to produce the failure.

Yes, except that - as I stated- the same trip back home does NOT produce the same issue- I can put it into and pull it out of reverse just fine when I get back home!

And, only because I am curious, what kind of work do you do?

I'm an office manager for the public safety dept of a local community college. Wed and Thurs I have to travel to another town 40 minutes away where they have a satellite campus. Fri and Sat I work on the main campus- a lot closer to home and never had a problem getting into or out of reverse there either- or anywhere else I drive around town no matter how long the trip. That's what's so weird about this issue--it's ONLY that 40 minute morning drive to the satellite campus!

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2019, 03:48 »
Yes, that is really weird... but Firstly... Why don't You leave Your car in Neutral when You park???? I always leave My car in neutral when I park...   other than that... it seems that reverse gear is being held in place, because the clutch isn't working 100% with the engine going....  Adjust the clutch servo adjuster 1/4 turn and see if it disappears...
But I will say it does sound very weird.... I bet if You lived in Australia... Southern Hemisphere ... it wouldn't do that.... lol lol

LEE in Australia...
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline sb001

« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2019, 04:52 »
Lee, I do leave my car in neutral when I park it- I back into the parking space, and then it's when I'm trying to get it back out of reverse into neutral to park that I have the problem.
I certainly thought about adjusting the servo arm - I just never worried about it because this is the ONLY time it does this. I guess it's worth a shot but again, why does it not do it literally anywhere else I go??
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 04:58 by sb001 »

Offline sb001

« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2019, 14:37 »
Yep- did it again this morning. However, if I turn the car off and leave it for just a few minutes and then restart it it will go into and out of all gears (including reverse) just fine. So yes it's really only after a longish (45 minute or so) drive, but again it seems to shift into reverse just fine just not back out of it, which would seem to eliminate a vacuum issue. Only thing I can think of to check (as Lee mentioned above) is the clutch arm adjustment. Weeeiiirrddd

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2019, 20:34 »
Ok so when you drive back home the 40 minutes, I wonder what would happen if you back onto two ramps, 4by4s
or whatever to raise the rear of the car. This simulates the incline at work. My thought is maybe when everything is heated up and loose, possibly the incline moves whatever freeplay is in the servo just enough to prevent the shift out of reverse.
Far fetched but can't come up with any other ideas.
Really interested to hear the outcome of this issue.
Good Luck!!
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

Offline sb001

« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2019, 21:27 »
Here are a couple pictures of the lot I park in

I pull in that entrance in the first photo (toward the camera) and then stop and put it in reverse. Then I back into that spot and that's when I encounter the problem pulling back out of reverse into neutral. As you can see it's barely downhill at all- I know I mentioned the slope earlier but it's very slight- certainly not enough to cause issues! I'm wondering more if there's something about colder air in the morning messing with the autostick contacts or vacuum system somehow....  :-\
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 21:29 by sb001 »

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2019, 01:36 »
Not much of an incline that I can see so there goes my theory out the window.
My wife's Kia Rio has grabby brakes when backing up ONLY in the morning after sitting all night. We suspect night time dampness. After the first stop, the brakes are fine.
In your situation, you experience the problem after quite a bit of driving. Everything should be warmed up and dry.
Time to contact Sherlock Holmes.

Offline Dave

• 1973 Autostick
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2019, 20:57 »
Isn't there a filter in the control valve?  That may be affected by colder air/damp air maybe.
1300 1973 Beetle Autostick - Amber Orange - Tombstone rear lights

Offline sb001

« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2019, 22:54 »
Isn't there a filter in the control valve?  That may be affected by colder air/damp air maybe.
yes there is, that's a good point- never thought of that.
Also today running around several different places it actually happened to me in a store parking lot as well. So I guess I might indeed have a very tiny vacuum leak somewhere... it had just never happened before except after that 40 minute morning drive. What's interesting is when this happens I can shut the car down and turn it back on and then I can immediately shift into and out of gears again no problem.  :P

anything