Author Topic: Retrofitting an EMPI 38EGAS Carburetor to play nice with my '71 Autostick???  (Read 69 times)

Offline atomicbug

So I am the owner of an EMPI 47-0628 EMPI 38EGAS Single Carburetor Kit (no haters, I got it cheap) that I am installing on my 1971 Autostick Type 1 Sedan.  On the original carburetor (which is long gone) there were three vacuum ports.  2 ports facing the rear of the car and one on the left side (looking at the car from the back).  The left one goes to the back of the DVDA distributer and one of the two rear-facing ports goes to the front of the DVDA distributer the other one goes to the control solenoid.  So the 38EGAS came with just one rear facing port.  I am going to drill out the other two ports. 

My question is (I know, its about damn time) where do I drill the holes and what size do the holes need to be?

I stole the little brass tubes from another carb so I know how big the holes to fit them in need to be.  I know that the additional rear facing port needs to be at the same height as the other rear facing port.  I have a drill bit set that is sized in hundredths of an inch, so I can get the hole sizes pretty exact.  I plan on using red Loctite in addition to a close friction fit to install the tubes.

I heard that the hole that goes through to the throat needs to be about 1/16th of an inch.  Is that correct? Is there a more exact number?  When I drill the left port, I think that it needs to be about halfway between the choke flap and the bottom air flaps and I have read that the part of the hole that goes into the throttle body also needs to be about 1/16th inch.  Am I about right?  Is there a more exact number?

I know that there are many haters of EMPI out there.  I know that there are more than a few haters of the 38EGAS.  Please feel free to hate and leave me out of it.   Thanks in advance for any constructive assistance you can provide.

Offline atomicbug

Cross-posted to thesamba.com

anything