Engine stalls/fuel consumption/smell

Started by ebbingnl, 31 March 2019, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ebbingnl

Seems To be 2 problems, carburator isnt working well, and fuellines/tank blocked.

Is there a fuel filter in the tank?
'73 Automatiek (2x)
Gerwin

68autobug

Make sure You check the fuel cap.... try without the fuel cap on to see if the tank needs to be vented.... look down the carburetor and see if fuel is being pumped in there when You push the throttle down....  leaking carburetor FLOAT means flooding the engine with fuel....
You are supposed to push the accelerator pedal down before You start the engine, this operates the automatic choke... and the engine should just start with the auto choke on....  You really need someone who knows a lot about Beetles....

Lee in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

ebbingnl

Thanks, with or without fuel cap makes no diverence, i installed a transparent fuel filter just before fuel pump, and i noticed that is was empty when engine stalls,
(Quickly parking the car, seat belds of, running To the rear and opening hood, was probably funny to watch :))

Thats why i like To know if there is a filter inside the fuel tank, if there is, then would make sense replacing it...

Maybe hard To belive, but i drive autostick for 20 years, and had never any real problems, so never touched them with a wrench or screwdriver....... had a great mechanic/garage who idd the standard maintenance, but he is retired :'(
'73 Automatiek (2x)
Gerwin

68autobug

Yes there is a gauze filet in the tank where the fuel comes out.. a fine gauze filter... I remember taking it off MY Beetle when I had the tank out.... so it seems that is the problem.... Best of Luck

Lee in Australia...
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

ebbingnl

Filters replaced, new fuel pump with heat exchanger, or how bit of plastic under pump is called in english, new seals in carburator, and its now running perfect, only stalled once(i gues i have To replace fuel gauge/float/resistance also ;D) empy tank.
'73 Automatiek (2x)
Gerwin

68autobug

I replaced MY fuel sender in the top of the tank recently and I have just found when I went to fill the tank , the gauge was showing under 3/4 full with the tank over flowing.... so I don't know whether to refit the sender ... maybe I have it in the incorrect position....???  or just leave it and remember never to fill it up going by the gauge.... so only replace the fuel tank sender if Yours isn't working correctly..... and remember a full tank of Gas is safer than an empty tank of gas fumes......