Author Topic: First attempt to engage transmission  (Read 119 times)

Offline KW-VW

First attempt to engage transmission
« on: 31 July 2019, 04:55 »
Hello All, I am about to attempt to put my 71 super beetle autostick in gear for the first time.  I just started motor today from a gas can after motor install and motor runs fairly decent.  I do have the rear up on jack stands and secure.  the brake pedal is really non existent, so my question is can I just try and put the car in gear while it is running with out issue.  Do not want to tear up anything and I am a true novice in the autostick world.

Thanks for any advise  in getting started. 

Offline sb001

Re: First attempt to engage transmission
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2019, 07:59 »
Welcome to autsotick ownership! I don't see any problem with putting the car in gear while the rear (drive) wheels are in the air- might apply the E-brake fully as another precaution.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2019, 13:40 »

Yes, no problems.. just make sure the car is  securely sitting  on jack stands.... but I have done this many times....
I just have the rear wheels up in the air...

LEE in Australia....
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline KW-VW

« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2019, 15:08 »
Thanks guys I hope to get out later today and see if she spins.  Will let you know what happens.

Offline KW-VW

« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2019, 03:38 »
Hey guys got out today and started the car up on jack stands and put into gear and she works.  I was shocked since the vacuum lines look really old and the vacuum to carb is gone.  Hate to ask a stupid question but does engaging the transmission only turn the left rear wheel?  Like I stated earlier I am completely new to the vw world.  very different than a 60's chevy.

Offline sb001

« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2019, 08:36 »
Since I've never engaged the transmission with my rear wheels jacked up I can't reasonably answer your question, but my guess is it simply has to do with the direction in which the differential is rotating- easier for whatever reason to spin the spider gear for the left wheel than the right.
I really have no idea though. Take it for a spin and see what happens!  ;D

Offline KW-VW

« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2019, 04:24 »
thanks sb001 I am a ways away from getting on the road but getting closer.