Author Topic: identify my gearbox - help please  (Read 373 times)

Offline KevM

• porsche 356 convertible d
identify my gearbox - help please
« on: 26 June 2019, 11:29 »
Hello,
I have bee used ot my auto boxes being 003 or 010 on my camper but I have a 'spare gearbox I want to identify, its part number is part number 001 301 103 A.

I think its a beetle part number , possibly 1302 but not really sure, can nayone tell me what it is or where to find the info, the searches I have done didn't give me anything to work with.

Many thanks

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: identify my gearbox - help please
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2019, 03:46 »

No Beetle ever had a fully automatic transmission... They had semi automatics with clutches and a torque converter and operated on vacuum & electric...
Type 3's had fully automatic gearboxes....

LEE  in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline KevM

« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2019, 08:32 »
Hi,
Think your message got cut, my q was : what is it - part number 001 301 103 A. This gearbox has vacuum solenoid, converter etc

Many thanks
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 08:34 by KevM »

Offline sb001

« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2019, 08:24 »
Unfortunately info on this transmission seems nowhere to be found... my guess is it IS an autostick for a 1300cc, for a couple reasons:

1. The only reference I can come up with for it is on the samba, where someone asked about it about 10 years ago (no informative responses there either) but the guy who asked about it is in Essex, England, where the 1302 would have been standard during the autostick years:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721177

2 In looking around for more info I came across a VW of America 1992 parts list inventory, that doesn't list this part number at all:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/1992-VWoA-AircooledPartsInventory.pdf

Since it's a VW of America list, I figure this was a transmission mainly used in other markets where the 1302 would have been sold (the US market had already switched over to the 1500cc by the time the autostick was introduced.)

Sorry not much help...
« Last Edit: 06 July 2019, 08:28 by sb001 »

Offline KevM

« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2019, 10:19 »
Thank you. That was my Samba post and like you say I drew a blank there too but thanks for getting back :-)

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2019, 02:19 »
KevM,
       Look here : http://vwar.org/old_forum/index.php?topic=501.msg2457#msg2457
I can't remember the post name where I showed the location and R & P code. This post may have been about something Bruce2 (Bruce on TheSamba) noticed about gearbox internals on early boxes.

Regards
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline KevM

« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2019, 08:27 »
That's very helpful, thank you.

Offline sb001

« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2019, 08:24 »
To piggyback off this topic--
I'd like to get some info regarding the replacement autostick tranny I currently have in my car, but I'll have to get the part # for it... I found it on craigslist for $60 and had it installed when my original transmission bit the dust. The reason I'm curious is because my car used to be able to get up to 80mph no problem with the old transmission, but with the new one it seems like it struggles to do 75. I'd be curious if it was a later transmission or out of another type air cooled or something and the gearing is different.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2019, 13:47 »

Hi sb001,
well the early beetles like My 1968 model and all My spare gearboxes had the lower differential ratio of  4.375 to 1 where the later models had a higher ratio... I cannot remember the other one... but it was higher as used in manual supers etc.... so, The 4.375 was also used in autosticks in EUROPE which had the 1300cc engine... and was carried over to the 1500... The 1600s had the higher Ratio....  My beetle with a 1600 single port engine will do 120 kilometers an hour... 110 is legal on freeways...  I have never ever tried to go any faster....  So, I suspect Your gearbox is from an early model autostick -1500cc..
We didn't have any 1300 autosticks in Australia....

LEE

LEE in Australia
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Offline sb001

« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2019, 08:12 »

Hi sb001,
well the early beetles like My 1968 model and all My spare gearboxes had the lower differential ratio of  4.375 to 1 where the later models had a higher ratio... I cannot remember the other one... but it was higher as used in manual supers etc.... so, The 4.375 was also used in autosticks in EUROPE which had the 1300cc engine... and was carried over to the 1500... The 1600s had the higher Ratio....  My beetle with a 1600 single port engine will do 120 kilometers an hour... 110 is legal on freeways...  I have never ever tried to go any faster....  So, I suspect Your gearbox is from an early model autostick -1500cc..
We didn't have any 1300 autosticks in Australia....

LEE

LEE in Australia

Thanks Lee but judging from your info I think my replacement transmission must be from a LATER model.
If the earlier autosticks had a lower gear ratio, that equates to higher top speed (worse acceleration but higher top speed.)
The later autosticks with a higher gear ratio (I assume to provide more torque for pulling added Super weight) would equate to a lower top speed. This plus the fact that my replacement transmission does not have the separate drain plug up front (something VW did away with on the later autosticks) everything points to my replacement transmission being from a later model.
Of course I could just crawl under the car and get the part number, forgot to do that yet...  ;D  But now would sure be the perfect time since I have the engine out and the car is up in the air...

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2019, 13:50 »

The  lower ratio gives MORE TORQUE at LOW REVS  but REVS HIGHER at top speed.... all My spare gearboxes are the early types....
The late gearboxes had a different front gearbox mounting....
These were actually designed for the 1300cc ENGINE used in the UK & Europe....
The 1500cc single port engines using this gearbox really go very well -- acceleration wise.... but are revving at 110KMH
With the 1600 twin port engines.... the higher ratio was used so the car isn't revving as much at 100-110 KMH...

LEE in Australia

Offline sb001

« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2019, 22:00 »

The  lower ratio gives MORE TORQUE at LOW REVS  but REVS HIGHER at top speed....

That is incorrect...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108398_learn-what-a-final-drive-ratio-is-and-how-it-affects-your-car

"In general, a lower final drive ratio will lead to less torque at the wheels but a higher top speed. Meanwhile, a higher ratio will result in the opposite, i.e. more torque at the wheels but a lower top speed."

Anyway it doesn't matter-- after researching I discovered the later 001-301-103A autostick-- which is what I have in my car right now-- has a lower final drive ratio (4.125:1) compared to the earlier 001-301-103 (4.375:1), which if anything means I should have a HIGHER top speed. Instead my car seems to struggle doing 80 when it didn't before with the earlier oirignal transmission.
I wonder if it's simply the mismatch of using a 1600 single port with the later tranny instead of the earlier one it would have originally been paired with.

« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 03:24 by sb001 »

Offline tmea

« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2019, 21:51 »
SAXOMAT transmission only offered in Europe??

Tom

Offline sb001

« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2019, 05:53 »
SAXOMAT transmission only offered in Europe??

Tom

No, the Saxomat had some distinct variations from the autostick transmission, including a centrifugal activated clutch vs a fluid (ATF)- activated torque converter. Plus mine has the exact same part number as the original autostick, just with an "A" added. indicating it's an early revised version-- I think it must be the first variation of the original autostick design. I've taken a closer look at it and it still appears to have both ATF temperature sensors and the combined sender switch, however it does NOT have the individual drain plug, just the pan. So it must be some version between the original, which had all that, and the final, which did away with one ATF sensor and the switch.
Considering my recent issues with the engine (vacuum and oil leaks, sooty #3 plug, etc) I'd bet this version still has the original 4.375:1 final ratio and my weak high end power lies in the engine (loose cylinder head, loose or bad plug, etc.)
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 05:57 by sb001 »

anything