1973 Standard Beetle - will not go into Reverse or L

Started by bandolito, 30 September 2019, 13:30

Previous topic - Next topic

bandolito

My '73 Standard Beetle Autostick will not go into Reverse or L. I have no issues shifting into 1 or 2, which I find puzzling, since that tells me that vacuum is there, right?

How do I go about troubleshooting this? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

-J.

bandolito

Well, I figured out what was wrong.

The shifter in my car travels too far to the left (driver side) of the car, so when you attempt to slide the shifter into what would be R or L it will not go.

Moving the shifter not quite all the way to the left lets you easily engage R and L. I guess I will remove the base plate and attempt to move it to the right side of the car somewhat so as to limit the travel of the shifter. Hopefully that will let things align properly.

-J.

68autobug

Hi,
there is a nylon bushing just under the gear shifter base , under the back bolt... If it hasn't been replaced before it will certainly be worn out now... the bushing is probably the cheapest item You can buy for Your car.... It isn't an easy job, but You should be able to get it done... just not quickly... lol

Lee in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug