Author Topic: Gear shift rod  (Read 163 times)

Offline Willyb

Gear shift rod
« on: 12 November 2019, 02:51 »
Hello. Does anyone know if an autostick gearshift rod is in 2 pieces. I have a coupler with a big screw through it lying at the back of tunnel. Thanks

Offline volkenstein

Re: Gear shift rod
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2019, 04:53 »
Willy,
        All VW's could be classified as two piece rods. Main Rod + coupler. A/S Main Rods (IIRC) are.......shorter?. There is also supposed to be a spring
which keeps it pulled over to one side. Now..theoretically - you undo the coupler and it is supposed to stay on the GB shaft. Sounds like someone got overeager or undid the wrong thing. So - in your hand (assuming Main Rod removal has been done) you have a Main Rod, and lying in the tunnel you should have the shift coupler. The gearbox should just have it's 12mm ish rod exposed....? Unless things have gotten out of hand and you have half a coupler in the tunnel and the other half on the GB.......where is the bolt & nut that links them together:)....

I love blind diagnosis :-X....

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline Willyb

« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2019, 01:09 »
It is the coupler that holds the spring. I was thinking it held the shift rod together. Thanks.

Offline Willyb

« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2019, 01:11 »
The bolt and nut was laying in the tunnel as well. Guess someone didnít put it back on and just left it laying in tunnel.

anything