Author Topic: Trouble Shifting  (Read 1719 times)

Offline muirfollower

Re: Trouble Shifting
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2021, 21:09 »
Lee Volkstein appreciate the help since your responses. I got new brake booster hose in from Amazon over this weekend( Cohline 12mm ) and replaced the old stuff. Got the engine to run tried the shifter, same deal as before. BUT I went under and stared @ the VCanister again and have questions. I unscrewed the coupling and was moving the shifter arm and noticed that when it is disconnected from the coupling, it moves maybe an inch inch and 1/2  back and forth, before stopping in each direction, is this correct?  And this back and forth movement is loose not like a stick shift which is spring loaded, I think?  In any event, I put the coupling back on and screwed it in the VC quite a bit and was going to try and start the engine again. With the ignition "on", I heard a "click" from the back and also a vacuum sound, like that of a wounded goose or cow. Is this normal, good or bad? After that, the battery died, and it's back on the trickle charger

Later
Andrew

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2021, 05:30 »
Andrew,
           Duck fart or dying cow noise is OK. BUT - just turning Ign on? = NO. Your wiring is earthing somewhere.
Now, doing this blind...the Vac Can arm normally resides sort of 1/2 in 1/2 out "at rest" in the servo can (see checkers post 3 or 5 topics down for help). I really can't tell what you have loosened, so set that short servo arm to the desired length. THEN - you check where the trans/clutch arm meets resistance (moving toward front of car) - push it (the eye) so it is back about 8mm. Then connect the two (servo arm "at rest" & clutch arm. That is a good enough for a start. Test drive (after your electrical tracing :) ) and when you are happy - tighten those arm connections.

HTH
Volkenstein
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 05:33 by volkenstein »
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline muirfollower

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2021, 19:06 »
Thanks Volkstein, I haven't had much time since the last posting to dig deeper into but on the safe side I went ahead and ordered last week, a new contact point wire that I will work soon (came in the mail yesterday). And just for poops and giggles, ordered a servo canister diaphragm to rebuild the spare one I have that was already cracked. I have theortical question about the earthing you mentioned, and I think I saw a reply in a posting  awhile back with the same question. BUT theoretically if you ran a continuous wire from the shifter contact point, straight back to the control valve( bypass the neutral safety switch) what would happen? just wondering...

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2021, 16:49 »
muirfollower,
                  Not much except you now have the ability (for better or worse) to shift/start in gear, the only thing I can't quite remember is the whether the NSS is also tied to the starter circuit somehow.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline muirfollower

« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2021, 17:38 »
Hi Everyone, I have great news and wanted to let you all know that there is now another running, driving (somewhat) Autostick on the Registry!  A friend of mine here in Salisbury, who has four VW bugs,  came by this past Saturday morning to lend a 2nd pair of eyes to my cause. I showed Eric what was happening before we got started, i.e. engine running, trying to shift into gear, etc. Turned it off, disconnected the battery.  Eric brought over his Bentley manual and with my Haynes manual we went through and re-read the setup for the canister in the SBeetle, using my spare as an example.  I took your suggestions with the jumper lead for the neutral safety switch and we got under and setup the canister as best as possible. AND the last thing we did was put the rear on jacks and removed the wheels. Got it running again in neutral and immediately I could feel a difference, we tried reverse first and it went in with grinding, but I didn't feel anything and Eric said give it some gas! And voila, the wheels started turning and that's when I realized the rear brakes were probably frozen or very tight; the drums were grinding on the shoes while in reverse and other gears. So we adjusted the rear shoes. got wheels back on and it's moving in Reverse and Low Drive in the alleyway, Up next, a complete brake job and I will plug back in the NSS, to see if that was part of the problem or just the stuck brakes.

Thanks again for the help and I'll keep you updated

anything