Author Topic: Rattle at idle in gear  (Read 43 times)

Offline aberg83

Rattle at idle in gear
« on: 26 June 2020, 13:46 »
So I got my shifting working thanks to some help in another thread. Might need a slight adjustment since it still grinds a little going into reverse.

My biggest issue now is that when the car is in gear, idle rpm drops quite a bit and was initially stalling at stops. I increased the idle to around 950rpm while in gear. It is up over 1000 in neutral. When in gear, the engine doesn't sound healthy. There is some rattling going on. I suspected the torque converter because the sound is gone when in neutral. I thought maybe a flex plate bolt was loose so I checked all 4 and they are tight.

Any ideas?

Offline aberg83

Re: Rattle at idle in gear
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2020, 19:22 »
Ok, figured it out. I had recently swapped to a ribbed style alternator belt. Put the smooth one back on and the noise is gone. It may have been the wrong size and was too loose or too tight. Either way, all is well now.

Offline sb001

« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 00:19 »
Good to hear- are you now able to reset the idle speed where it is supposed to be? (About 950 at idle in neutral, usually drops to around 750-800 or so when put in gear.)

Offline aberg83

« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 05:13 »
Turns out I had a bad intake leak at one of the manifold crush rings. I had some other reasons to pull the motor so its out now for some work.

anything