Epic fail: clutch

Started by Tom K., 23 November 2021, 00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom K.

Symptom: clutch will not disengage. Grinding gears every time I attempt to shift.

Diagnostics: went below the car and observed the servo pulling the clutch arm whenever the control valve circuit is closed (ran a wire from the control valve that I had under the car that I could ground). So the clutch actuating system looks fine.

History: I recently serviced and reassembled the clutch and bell housing. I had it all out and apart.

So, obviously I f***ed something up during the reassembly. I'll take it all out again, I guess.

I write only to ask if anyone might have gone down this same road before and might be able to teach me something. Thanks if you can.

It's a '71.

bhartwell59

You know the CV works... how about the servo? It was/is holding vacuum?

Sorry, not much help I'm afraid
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

Tom K.

So I've been scouring these pages for added info. I had thought the adjustments on the clutch arm and servo area were for fine tuning.  Could a bad adjustment in this area lead to total failure in terms of separating the clutch from the pressure plate?  If so, then I had no idea the adjustment was so important and sensitive. Maybe that's my problem.

Tom K.

Problem solved. My clutch operating lever (swing arm) was way out of position. I corrected via instructions in Bentley Chapter 9 - Section 8.5 and with tips from Volkenstein.