new to group and vw shift issues

Started by rwhite, 11 December 2021, 06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

rwhite

i recently bought a 1954 mg replica on a 1970 vw frame , when i purchased it the seller referred to having shifting problems . i bought it on the cheap knowing i can fix this issue however i am fast learning that vws are kind of fickle. to start with when i removed the shift rod it was a combination of tube rebar and a broken shifter bucket. i pieced all this together tocameup with a total length of 24.5 inches wich from my readings thus far is way short of the basic, i bought a new shift rod and coupler cut it to length and installed it . the gears are all there wnd run out well .however when i go to shift to reverse or 3-4 the pin in front of the shifter rolls out for lack of a better word. through basic geometry i figured i need to shorten the length to put more of an angle on the pin to in essence point it downward into the cup . having done this i got a good pattern but 1st and third fell off to grinding .i lengthened the rod 2 turns ,lost the grinding but gained the rool off back , i guess with this novel it comes down to this question. should i shorten the length nagain by either cutting anther half inch out of the rod or will something like an empe shifter clear up this problem?

68autobug

I am just glad I have never ever cut a shift rod etc....   I know the pin needs to be located in the groove so it is always in the correct gear.... there should be a spring under the rear seat under the oval plate on the shifter rod end to keep the gear shifter always in LOW - reverse side of the H pattern....  Do You still have the nylon bushing under the shifter base on the shaft??? when that bushing is badly worn things start happening....  there MUST be a reason why that pin can go out of its groove... I am sure that cannot normally happen.... Lee in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

rwhite

thank you for your reply i believe i found the problem , when they relocated the shifter to fit correctly in the kit car they apparently found the only spot that could cause this problem back approx 12 inches from the original location they cut in a shifter hole .onfortunately at about 13 inches there is a rib in the tunnel panel. no matter how hard i tried to relocate the shifetr within this confin that rid holds the back of the shifter assembly down about 3/8 of an inch putting the whole shifter out of aliognment currently i am modifying this position back enough to cut this ridge out enough to allow the assembly to lay flat against the top of the tunnel.im hoping this will correct this problem