Gearbox Codes

Started by volkenstein, 24 January 2009, 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

volkenstein

Airhead,
          Marvy ::), another BO code ??? . As Lee and Herc have found, such boxes exist - just never made it onto parts lists >:( .

So...you have a 4.375:1 Gearbox (theoretically) in your beast at the moment. You want a 4.125:1....but do you really care?

I would either take it or walk away. You'll have enough spares left over to make one good box!

Maybe the owner would let you check the ring & pinion ratio marking if you desperately want a 4.125:1 box?.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

raysor

I am sure my '69 Auto is the original gearbox. Will find the number sometime.
www.t1beetle.blogspot.com
www.shareworld.co.uk

68autobug

Hi

the code is quite easy to see with the gearbox OUT of the car... lol

the 4.375 to 1 diff ratio was also used on 1300 engined cars in Europe
so You can see that running a 1500 or 1600 engine they are really geared for racing lol...

well that is what mine goes like with the SVDA distributor and My throttle cable adjusted properly
so Now I am getting heaps of vacuum with the throttle depressed...
and it goes like a rocket...

shame it took me over 6 months to find the problem... lol

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

68autobug

Quote from: volkenstein on 19 February 2010, 14:05
Steve,
        Like my pic shows, rip off the GB sump plate. You can see mine has the R & P, then a narrow casting that goes to the left hand side of the casing (in the pic). An LSD would have a much wider area running to that side. I have seen pics of VW LSD's but can't remember which forum.

Maybe try the transaxle forum on STF for pics?

The reverse light switch was legislative. Mine doesn't have one because reverse lights weren't mandatory in 1971 in Australia. In the US they were. Dunno about the UK. You can always bung your current switch into a switchless gearbox. Mine has a plug, undo that and lo and behold the gearshift shaft has the notch for a reverse light switch, so does my '68 spare box...so I could run one if I could be bothered....just need to find a switch!

Regards
Sean

My 68 gearboxes all have the plug where the reverse switch went..
the reverse switches were a long switch similar to the 3 prong  drive 1 & 2 oil temp switch..
I have fitted one of these to a spare gearbox with some shim washers and it seems to work OK..
Will have to do final test hooked to power...

LEE

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

olgunc

Hi,
It's been too long since the last entry. However, my factory transmission code is BJ16073 with 4,375 ratios and 1300 cc engine. And I upgraded my engine to 1600 cc; there is no problem with the trans, and it is so fast :)

68autobug

Quote from: olgunc on 07 February 2018, 11:48
Hi,
It's been too long since the last entry. However, my factory transmission code is BJ16073 with 4,375 ratios and 1300 cc engine. And I upgraded my engine to 1600 cc; there is no problem with the trans, and it is so fast :)

Unusual code from memory... with the 4.375 to 1 ratio they are much faster in take off and acceleration but use more fuel at top speed.
I always use LOW gear then 1st and 2nd gear.   Does Your gearbox have two senders on the RHS of the box near the hoses..? All mine have the two senders.
I have 2 spare gearboxes all with 4.375 to 1 ratio, I always wanted a 4.125 to 1 gearbox for better economy.... but they are hard to find in Australia.

Lee in Australia

olgunc

Hi Lee,
Samely, It is nearly impossible or too expensive to find these gearboxes in Turkey.
My bug is 74 model and it has no temperature sensors. Later models were produced without them. I think and observe that 1300 ccs were mostly sold to Turkey and they all have 4375  gearboxes.
As you indicated, 4375 ratio is faster in take off and  has more fuel consumption. However it may also  because of the slightly more RPM than the manual bugs.

olgunc

Hello again,
Today I have learned what our codes mean. So, my transmission code : BJ 16073
BJ : I. D letters,
16 : Day
07 : Month
3 : Year 1973

sb001

Hey all!!
Have not posted here in many moons! But, came across this thread and decided to resurrect it to ask about my spare tranny in the garage:
It has code BA 0230438, as shown in the attached photo. Have not seen another with that many numbers (7) after the "BA" designation- any ideas what the extra numbers are for?