Distributor strip and re-assembly - 113 905 205AH

Started by volkenstein, 26 April 2008, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

68autobug

Hi Sean

How can the vacuum can be repaired???
or I should say the rubber diaphram...

How can it be identical to the original diaphram...
and work the same with the same vacuum ???

or does it [vacuum can] then need to be adjusted somehow???

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

volkenstein

Lee,
     I'd imagine you'd have to use a tool similar to the roof rain gutter seam "peeler", but obviously specific to the job, to peel open the outer lip. Then I reckon it's a question of spring resistance (inside the can) along with the slot in the points plate link arm. The rubber diaphragms would need replacing, but since you've opened it....

That "eccentric" I was talking about has replaced with a fixed post. The AH I have now has an adjustment screw that rotates an eccentric post, allowing you to fine tune the vacuum curve. It is roughly halfway along the mounting bracket between the vac can and distributor body.

Oh yeah...he wrote back and doesn't have an "853" in stock so he'd reco mine. $110 AUD plus postage, 3 day work turnaround.

Regards
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

nlorntson

This was a helpful post.  Does anyone know where to get the fiber washers that go on the shaft?  I have the shims, just need the fiber washers for the shaft and the two little ones that go on the weight pivots.  It all crumbled when I took the distributor apart.  :(

volkenstein

Nancy,
         Bummer. Glenn Ring on www.thesamba.com may have the little kit. I don't think Randy has any more (from where I got mine). I'll have a dig around while you are contacting Glenn, as the kit has a specific Bosch number and I KNOW I've seen it on one of the more "quality" parts vendors websites.

Enjoy
Volkenstein

nlorntson

Quote from: volkenstein on 27 October 2012, 00:51
Nancy,
         Bummer. Glenn Ring on www.thesamba.com may have the little kit. I don't think Randy has any more (from where I got mine). I'll have a dig around while you are contacting Glenn, as the kit has a specific Bosch number and I KNOW I've seen it on one of the more "quality" parts vendors websites.

Enjoy
Volkenstein

Yeah, I know about the kit and see several folks selling it.  Cheapest one I've found is $25.  Really expensive for the parts I need, and I'd have to buy two.

I contacted Glenn and he claims to have none to sell me.

volkenstein

Nancy,
           :o . Mein gott, the prices have gotten WAYYY out of hand. www.busdepot.com - 24.95 + P&P..beats the living daylights out of Fleapay....but wow...I did only pay 14 odd INCLUDING OS postage about 2 years aog!

Shocked & Appalled
Volkenstein

volkenstein

Nancy,
         Marc (Vellat) from STF has 'em on his Webshop for 11.95 + P & P. Email him as he is a mod over there IIRC. www.shoptalkforums.com.

Enjoy
Volkenstein

nlorntson

Quote from: volkenstein on 27 October 2012, 07:05
Nancy,
         Marc (Vellat) from STF has 'em on his Webshop for 11.95 + P & P. Email him as he is a mod over there IIRC. www.shoptalkforums.com.

Enjoy
Volkenstein

Do you have a URL for his webshop?

volkenstein

jovanybg

sb001

Bringing this topic back up because I recently discovered my distributor has tons of vertical shaft play (posted about it over on the samba.) Volkenstein's step by step posts above seem to be the most comprehensive instructions on how to disassemble the distributor which I have never done before. I may have some questions if I get stuck, hopefully some of you in the know about these things can help guide me through this.

BTW, if you want to see what my distributor shaft and drive dog are like right now, I posted a YouTube video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dNhsi_lcUs

volkenstein

Sb,
    It is a relatively straight forward exercise, however, as mentioned in the post - a 205AN (plus others I have done) require marking of at least one side of the advance assembly so it all goes back together in the correct order. If you grab a sharpie, as you are cleaning individual bits of the advance mechanism - mark them. ie the orientation of ALL bits on one side. The Mechanism's plate, the weight, the spring and the points lobes piece.

Put everything in a container (Screws etc etc) so it doesn't turn into a spare parts exercise.

Glenn (Ring, Samba guy) has another technique for getting the drive dog off - just as effective. What you don't want is the distributor shaft taking blows. Check his website.

You can get minor rust off with an overnight bath in white vinegar. Since I didn't have any suitable stuff (carb-o-clean etc), I washed & scrubbed the body with petrol & a toothbush - being careful (ie upside down) so nothing got into the drive shaft hole.

HTH
Volkenstein

sb001

Thanks Volkenstein-
I didn't go through the trouble of disassembling the advance assembly- I didn't see any reason to go that far. I simply just pulled the shaft out with the weight plates, springs, etc all attached:

I was missing the fiber washers that are supposed to go on either side of the bottom of the distributor body, they may have disintegrated or something. I only had one shim inside and one slightly thicker shim outside:

That seems to be the cause of the problem. Another samba member has graciously offered to send me replacement shim and fiber washers at no charge.

volkenstein

Sb,
    If the mechanical advance mechanism is smooth, then yeah - keep aside and don't disassemble. On that point, make sure the advance mechanism operates on the shaft itself - smoothly etc. Another point is have a look at your points plate where the ball bearing resides. Make sure the plate travels smoothly over that.

Good on the samba fella for supplying shims etc. In my post I shot for between .004 & 5 endplay because .008 is the supposed limit according to the manual. Given adventures I had I think my endplay was/is achievable. You can mix 'n' match if you have a good enough shim variety.

HTH
Volkenstein