Shifter contacts install and adjustment

Started by bigfuninc, 21 May 2015, 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfuninc

HELP...Need to install new contacts in my shifter and set them up properly. Got the parts I need and the shifter is in pieces and cleaned,

volkenstein

BigFun,
          Go to the front web page and choose the OLD FORUM. Then search for "your gearstick exposed"....

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

bigfuninc

cannot find the section you are talking about

68autobug

I have fitted new points into the gear shifter in My 68beetle but I believe as they are adjustable, it should be OK to clean the point contacts, solder on a NEW wire , covering the wire with shrink wrap so it doesn't short circuit when the PVC cracks as most original ones have... where it comes out of the gear shifter...

LEE in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

lucas660

That's exactly what I did.
Handy hint, use a multimeter on continuity buzzer to set the gap by feel. 1 probe to ground the other to the wire coming out the selector shaft. This is also good for fault finding. Once you pull it apart you will see that it is a very simple system.

68autobug

Hi
Yes, I haven't actually used a feeler gauge with the switch, as it isn't a normal type of switch, just two contacts, spring loaded.
You can actually adjust the points to however fast or slow You want them to work, although I suppose most people would adjust them just open so the clutch is activated as soon as you move the lever forwards or backwards. If the lever activates the clutch when it is moved sideways, it means the spring on the end of the shaft under the oval plate isn't connected.
I found it very fiddly to adjust - or fit a new switch and adjust it.. the switch [two contacts] will probably last forever..

LEE in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug