Modifying a 34 Pict 3 for semi auto use

Started by volkenstein, 29 November 2008, 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

bowlingbrad

Thanks for the clarifications!  Hopefully I can get to this over the weekend!  Excited!

SpyCarHippie

I'm new here.

I added the new port to my carb last weekend and it worked beautifully. I used a 3/16 and 9/64 drill bits. I found some brass tubing 3/16" diameter at a hobby shop near where they sell the model building stuff (the guy at the auto parts store just gave me a blank stare). I used Loctite 660 to secure the new nipple. I've used it at work with great success and it worked well in this aplication as well.

I just want to say thanks for the detailed instructions. The pictures really helped. My car is shifting great now... that is... until this morning.

But that's another story.

I am very grateful for this site and the generous and knowledgeable folks who hang out here.

I wasn't sure what I'd gotten myself into when I purchased the weird 2 pedaled Ghia. Now I'm so glad I did.

Thanks Again,

Dave
Dave

One Problem at a Time

Joshua.b.sweeney

So I just got a 30 pict 2 and it didn't have the vacuum port for the autostick so of course I decided to drill one without researching sizing and tonight found this.  It seems to drive well but I was wondering if I drilled the hole almost the same diameter of the hole that the metal tubing goes in would that be a problem?  Thanks. 

68autobug

Hi
Yes drill the hole the same size as the tubing, but not all the way thru..
Firstly drill a smaller hole  all the way thru, then when You stick the tubing into the hole the tubing won't go out the other end.. add a bit of loctite or similar to help hold the tubing in place.

cheers

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

bhartwell59

Ok... just did this to my 34pict3.

Haven't noticed any appreciable differences... so I have to ask, what is the benefit of doing this?
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

68autobug

Did You drill the hole larger in the same position as the pipe was?
If So, it probably wouldn't make any difference...
If You had a pipe fitted then the instructions I gave was for when there is NO hole in the correct position as on a manual carburetor.
Is Your clutch "thumping" or not? If it thumps means it is getting too much vacuum.
My original 30PICT2  carburetor was all gummed up with old fuel so I used another Solex carburetor without a hose or pipe in the correct position. I was using the vacuum advance outlet pipe as I was using a Bosch 009 distributor...
It thumped into gear very fast and very Loud. I tried every thing to try and lower the vacuum inside  the hose without any success. It was either blocked off or still full vacuum. I Tried blocking off the hose [using nails or screws] so only a small amount of vacuum should be flowing... without success.. I just remembered I don't think ?? I tried to semi block the small vacuum rubber hose with an outer clamp... on the outside of the hose... that may have worked ?? although I really don't like crimping hoses in a very hot engine bay... the hose would probably crack after a while....?? but should have worked...
it had Me stumped for a long time...

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

fixed object

Looks like photobucket is now charging people to view photos that were uploaded to 3rd party sites.  The photos in this thread are replaced with a photobucket error message.

Is there any chance the original photos can be uploaded? I need to do this mod to my AS.

This site is great I have learned a lot from you folks.

Thank you,
Jim

volkenstein

Jim,
     Yes, pack of disgusting scum >:(......my main issues are a lack of time to download/upload again or crank my old computer into life
and xfer them all and upload to somewhere else.

Then comes fixing every single link I have on various VW forums.......

Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

blue_ghia

A few years back I made a .pdf from the post just in case it disappeared. I tried to post it here but I think the file size might be too big.

PM me your email if you want the .pdf.

Andy
1974 Karmann Ghia Coupe

volkenstein

All,
    Found a fix on AVD...so updated this thread.....now to fix most of my VW universe:( ......Photostopped, as bad as a PO....

Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"