Author Topic: Modifying a 34 Pict 3 for semi auto use  (Read 12935 times)

Offline bowlingbrad

• 1971 KG Vert autostick
Re: Modifying a 34 Pict 3 for semi auto use
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2009, 20:59 »
Thanks for the clarifications!  Hopefully I can get to this over the weekend!  Excited!

Offline SpyCarHippie

« Reply #16 on: 07 October 2009, 16:20 »
I'm new here.

I added the new port to my carb last weekend and it worked beautifully. I used a 3/16 and 9/64 drill bits. I found some brass tubing 3/16" diameter at a hobby shop near where they sell the model building stuff (the guy at the auto parts store just gave me a blank stare). I used Loctite 660 to secure the new nipple. I've used it at work with great success and it worked well in this aplication as well.

I just want to say thanks for the detailed instructions. The pictures really helped. My car is shifting great now... that is... until this morning.

But that's another story.

I am very grateful for this site and the generous and knowledgeable folks who hang out here.

I wasn't sure what I'd gotten myself into when I purchased the weird 2 pedaled Ghia. Now I'm so glad I did.

Thanks Again,

Dave
Dave

One Problem at a Time

Offline Joshua.b.sweeney

« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2014, 04:11 »
So I just got a 30 pict 2 and it didn't have the vacuum port for the autostick so of course I decided to drill one without researching sizing and tonight found this.  It seems to drive well but I was wondering if I drilled the hole almost the same diameter of the hole that the metal tubing goes in would that be a problem?  Thanks. 

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2014, 10:03 »
Hi
Yes drill the hole the same size as the tubing, but not all the way thru..
Firstly drill a smaller hole  all the way thru, then when You stick the tubing into the hole the tubing won't go out the other end.. add a bit of loctite or similar to help hold the tubing in place.

cheers

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline bhartwell59

• strategy + unique ideas = greater awareness & results
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2017, 01:47 »
Ok... just did this to my 34pict3.

Haven't noticed any appreciable differences... so I have to ask, what is the benefit of doing this?
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2017, 04:29 »
Did You drill the hole larger in the same position as the pipe was?
If So, it probably wouldn't make any difference...
If You had a pipe fitted then the instructions I gave was for when there is NO hole in the correct position as on a manual carburetor.
Is Your clutch "thumping" or not? If it thumps means it is getting too much vacuum.
My original 30PICT2  carburetor was all gummed up with old fuel so I used another Solex carburetor without a hose or pipe in the correct position. I was using the vacuum advance outlet pipe as I was using a Bosch 009 distributor...
 It thumped into gear very fast and very Loud. I tried every thing to try and lower the vacuum inside  the hose without any success. It was either blocked off or still full vacuum. I Tried blocking off the hose [using nails or screws] so only a small amount of vacuum should be flowing... without success.. I just remembered I don't think ?? I tried to semi block the small vacuum rubber hose with an outer clamp... on the outside of the hose... that may have worked ?? although I really don't like crimping hoses in a very hot engine bay... the hose would probably crack after a while....?? but should have worked...
it had Me stumped for a long time...

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline fixed object

« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2017, 17:47 »
Looks like photobucket is now charging people to view photos that were uploaded to 3rd party sites.  The photos in this thread are replaced with a photobucket error message.

Is there any chance the original photos can be uploaded? I need to do this mod to my AS.

This site is great I have learned a lot from you folks.

Thank you,
Jim

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2017, 02:06 »
Jim,
     Yes, pack of disgusting scum >:(......my main issues are a lack of time to download/upload again or crank my old computer into life
and xfer them all and upload to somewhere else.

Then comes fixing every single link I have on various VW forums.......

Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline blue_ghia

« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2017, 20:03 »
A few years back I made a .pdf from the post just in case it disappeared. I tried to post it here but I think the file size might be too big.

PM me your email if you want the .pdf.

Andy
1974 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #24 on: 13 December 2017, 04:10 »
All,
    Found a fix on AVD...so updated this thread.....now to fix most of my VW universe:( ......Photostopped, as bad as a PO....

Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"