Car In Shop

Started by oldguy, 26 July 2007, 18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

My mechanic has been working on my 69 Bug for a week now.  He say's he has adjusted the autostick so it will not slip or grind in the forward gears, but it still grinds in reverse.  I gave him a CD with the Haynes info on autostick, plus info on this forum...still adjusting....still charging me by the hour.  Any help out there?

Thanks

Bookwus

Hiya old,

Welcome to the VW misfits!

A week in the shop?  Your mechanic must be doing brain surgery.  Has he told you exactly how he adjusted it so it would not grind in the forward gears?

Here's my opinion..............if the transmission is OK shifting into the forward gears, it should be just fine shifting into reverse.  The clutch arm action is exactly the same.  Nothing about the shift to reverse is different, except, of course, the gear selected.  So, I don't think tweaking the clutch action is going to produce any results.

A possibilty may be the points in the shifter.  It's concievable that they may not be making contact when the lever is moved to reverse.  This would produce a grind only in reverse.  If not the points, then your problem may lie inside the case of the transmission.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

dfrommi

if the points in the shifter are being hit you would hear your control valve click(the thing with all the vacuum hoses in the rear) and from what i experienced some kind of vacuum noises. unless your mechanic is really swamped with other cars this shouldn't take a week to adjust. the haynes info on the auto stick didn't do much for me. very short section on it in my book and didn't explain much. so i didn't really go by the book i just took the boot off the shifter and adjusted it until i herd my control valve click every time i shifted into a gear.