Author Topic: Aftermarket Shifter?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline eguy208

Aftermarket Shifter?
« on: 12 August 2007, 07:03 »
Hey guys,

I just acquired a 72' SuperBeetle A/S.  It's in great condition and shifts nice and smooth.

Only thing I would like to change is the "looseness" of the shifter.  I know they have aftermarket short shifters for the manual beetles, but do they have an aftermarket shifter for the AS?  If not, can I do something myself to make the shifting a little tighter?

Thanks for the help,
-Levino

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Aftermarket Shifter?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2007, 07:50 »

Hi,
I've Never seen any other non standard shifter on an Austostick beetle..
probably because of the electrical points at the bottom of the stick..
the small Nylon bushing under the gearlever and slightly towards the rear
could be worn out..
I have never replaced one of these, but everyone who has says its a terrible
job...  not much room to stick your fingers in and remove the old one and
replace the new one...
the only good news is... the bush is Very Inexpensive...
the new bush is split on one side, so its wrapped around the shaft and then
a round steel ring is placed over the bush...

Lee - 68Autobug - Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

helping keep Autosticks on the road[/b]
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2007, 07:56 »
Whether you can add the manual quickshift parts to the autostick
and it would cut down the play on the gearstick...
I can't see why not...
Although, remember that You need to move the gear lever slightly
for the clutch to Disengage....
so if there wasn;t enough play..
You wouldn't get it into gear...

I don't think My gear lever has too much play....

One other thing... Can You engage reverse without pushing the
gearlever knob Down???

If You can the lockout plate under the rubber boot is worn out or
out of adjustment...

Lee - 68Autobug - Australia

I just love driving My Beetle ... Autostick of course..
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Offline Bookwus

« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2007, 08:37 »
Hiya eguy,

Well, for starters, there is no aftermarket shifter kit designed for an Autostick of which I am aware.

That would leave the DIY approach to the problem as your only alternative.  After having spent some time studying shift lever and shift rod anatomy, my guess is that you are (at best) in for a difficult time.  And while I do subscribe to the old axiom that any problem can be solved by throwing enough money and time at it, I think an effort in this area would not have a good enough "payback" to warrant the energy spent.

Before trying self designed modifications, I'd advise that you thoroughly check out your shifting "system".  As Lee mentioned the shift rod bushing (just barely visible when you peer backwards in the tunnel from the shift lever hole) is critical in the functioning of the shift mechanism.  Equally important is the shift rod coupler found under the inspection plate under the rear seat.  Then too, your shift lever point should be in good shape, clean, and have the appropriate gap.  The shift stop plate should be correctly positioned and should be in good shape.  The contact ball on the end of the shift lever should be well greased.

If after all these checks (and adjusting the shift lever housing/shift stop plate position for good shift action) you still do not like the feel of the shift action, then start contemplating a customization.  And for what it might be worth............were it me, the first item I'd look at modifying would be the shift stop plate.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2007, 12:39 »

After a rethink...
all the quick shift does is move the pivot point ... {I think]

If You use the Autostick lock out plate and shifter and just add the
quick shift unit..
it May just work....   I can't see any real reason why it wouldn't...

but I am satisfied with My shifter...
I will post a photo of the autoshift gearlever assembly tomorrow...

Lee - 68Autobug - Australia

I just love My autostick beetle ---  beep beep
[/b]

Offline itskyle

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2019, 05:50 »
I know, this is an old topic, but nobody mentioned some people 3d print the manual quick shift adapters.

So, theoretically, it would be possible.

This is a relevant topic for me.  Recently, I discovered that herbie is totally missing his shifter plate after issues shifting and also missing range 1.

He now misses range 2, but not range 1 or l or R.

I checked under the seat, and that looked ok.

Kyle

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2019, 08:57 »

The autostick reverse lockout plate is different to the manual version...  I have never heard of anyone not having a lock out plate at all.... or of anyone using an aftermarket shifter or a short shifter...

LEE

Offline sb001

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 03:14 »
I know, this is an old topic, but nobody mentioned some people 3d print the manual quick shift adapters.

So, theoretically, it would be possible.

This is a relevant topic for me.  Recently, I discovered that herbie is totally missing his shifter plate after issues shifting and also missing range 1.

He now misses range 2, but not range 1 or l or R.

I checked under the seat, and that looked ok.

Kyle

Kyle,
are you missing the actual reverse lockout plate, or the UPPER shift plate, or both?
I was missing Range 1 a few weeks back and discovered my UPPER shift plate (red arrow below) was loose while my reverse lockout plate (lower down) was fine:

So if you have your lockout plate but are still missing the upper plate or if it is out of position this could cause your issue.

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2019, 02:11 »
You cannot not have the top housing that holds the gearshifter in place....  from the previous post , someone did hive the reverse lockout plate missing.  the reverse lockout plate can be very difficult to find, as if the car is changed to manual, most times the reverse lockout plate and the autostick shifter are used with the manual.  you can tell by the autostick shifter rod, which I believe they would just tighten up so it didn't move in the points...

Lee

Offline Paxson

« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2019, 09:32 »
Are there not many reverse lockout plates going around on the used parts market these days?

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2019, 15:40 »

Major problem with the gear shifter lock out plate... they are usually left on the chassis  and the gear shifter is just  tightened  so it doesn't flex....  and they are left there and used with manual cars....  although they are different, it seems they must work with manual shifters....

LEE

anything