News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Cant shift out of neutral

Started by oakhillobs, November 04, 2002, 03:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakhillobs

Hi All,

At a light, when shifting from 2->1, the stick stopped in neutral and would go no further, after a push and a roll down a slight incline, I was able to get it into 2nd and home.  It shifts into all gears when the engine isn't running, but won't shift into any gear after you start it up.  The fluid level is at the bottom mark.  

Q1:  What fluid should I use to bring it to the top mark?

Q2:  If not the fluid level, what else might be causing this?

Q3:  Do you know of any online sources for the maintenance manuals for a 1970 beetle?

Thanks

SUPER72

Dextron 2 or 3 is the fluid type. The fluid level is OK, As long as the fluid level is between the two marks.  Sounds like your problem may be electrical in nature. Check the fuse and all connections.
UPER72

LarrysGhia

:o
   when I first got my Ghia it had sat for 6 years and all rubber was bad including the vacuam lines for shifting. I pulled out motor and found that the line along firewall from shift solenoid to vacuam cannister looked intact but was in fact full of tiny brittle cracks. I ponied up a few US dollars and replaced all lines,including the small line from carb to solenoid.
I have been driving car 2 years now NP. point is this I guess " do not splice clamp bend tape cheat your vacuam lines. they are the soul of the shift system"
roomvroom its my Ghia

LarrysGhia

when your car stalled in neutral were you on an incline ? check your mounts if you are using bad mounts you may have been in a simple bind.
the rubber mounts are under torque converter housing and best accessed with motor out ( there are holes there and it is possible to do with motor in. )check link pin at front of transmission check for wear there also. sloppy movement can cause binds . if none of these apply consider how often was I shifting prior to this incident? was my car hot? low idle means low vacuam? leaky hoses ?
roomvroom its my Ghia