News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Red light in the middle of the dash what is it??

Started by Antwells, September 14, 2005, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antwells

Hi again i've been meaning to find the answer to this question since I brought my 68 bug. I have a red light in the middle of my dash that lights up when you push it but goes out when you let go does anyone have any idea what it does cheers ant. P.S I found this picture in members cars it has the same dash as mine with the red button in it, it's on members cars 26-30 8th picture down sorry I don't know how to upload photo.  Thanks again for any help.

slushy

Hi, the red light is a low brake pressure warning light, it comes on if the brake pedal travels too far. The master cyl has three switches on it, two are brake light switches, the middle one is the switch that activates the light on the middle of the dash. When you push the button on the dash you are performing a circut test, if it lights up all is good, if not there is some type of problem in the circut,(bulb switch wire)

Antwells

Thanks slushy mystery solved mine lights up when i push it so i guess its all ok. Thanks again that question has been annoying me for ages.  Ant.

68AutoBug

We never had that light in our dash.. and in the 1976 Beetle with flat dash and plastic padding, there was the hole for it with a blank plug in the hole.
The hole next to it was also blanked out....
No fans in our beetles....
I have the switch, from a type 2 BUS....
but its not connected to anything yet...
I used type 2 knobs on My dashboard, as they are a lot longer and Your fingernails cannot scratch the dash....
they have the same removeable centers with icons...

Lee Noonan    68AutoBug    Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --