News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

torque converter plate removel?

Started by drmuddle, March 12, 2003, 11:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmuddle

Hi, anyone know how to remove the black metal plate that the convertor is secured on by without distorting it?(i understand the nut is at about 282lb of torque?) I'm half way through an engine rebuild! done a few before but not on an auto.
Any tips????
Many Thanks...Nick

jean

You screw two screws diameter 8 mm in the torque converter plate and it leaves easily.

drmuddle

Thanks jean, when you say 2 screws, how do you mean? do i screw it to something? and will they take 282lb's of torque?
Many Thanks...Nick

jean

My answer was a litle short.
you can make a tool to hold the converter plate.
(I can send the photo of the tool by email)
After you unscrew the bolt with a key of 36.
This is more easy to do it if the motor has always those cylinder head.
It does not remain more than to extract the converter plate with two screws of 8 millimetres.

JOSEPH A. POPEK

if your refering to the gland nut that holds the flex plate to the crank shaft  the best way to remove is with an inpact wrench . :D

drmuddle

Thanks all, the impact wrench did it with no problems!! when tightening it i found the best way is to have 2 x 11/16 sockets (with extension to ensure they don't twist, held straight by a 2nd person) in the plate holes, you will find that these 2 sockets will touch the casing whilst the nut is tightened too 282 lbs with ease. this does not distort the plate in any way!
Thanks....Nick

JOSEPH A. POPEK

another good tip. cut a hole with a 1 1/2 " hole saw in the bottom of the transmission bell housing for easy access to the flex plate screws. also part of the engine support cross brace will need to be cut away. this makes installing the screws 10 times easier to install with less cussing. also use lockite on the screws. the hole needs to be cut before the engine is installed. :D