Author Topic: mileage  (Read 2812 times)

damcamp

mileage
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »
Am very new to this forum, I have a 1968 Type 1 Automatic.  I love this car (is it really just a car) she has lots of charm and personality.  She runs great and looks great but the mileage is low, very low about 14 miles to the gallon.  I read that she's supposed to get around 25 or so.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks, Lynn

bookwus

• Email
mileage
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 12:06:02 PM »
Hiya Lynn,

Welcome to the group!

When it rolled off the factory production line, your Bug sported a 1500 cc engine and a 30PICT2 carburetor.  The distributor for your car was matched to the engine for maximum performance and fuel mileage.  If all those parts are still original and still functioning within parameters you should be getting mileage comparable to that of a similarly equipped 68 Bug with a manual transmission - which is to say between 22 and 25 mpg.

The problem, of course, is that many, or all of these components could well have been changed out in the past 38 years.  In other words, it is very likely that your current total motive "package" is simply a piecemeal slap-together job that functions, but does not function efficiently.

Of all the parts mentioned above, the combination of the carburetor and the distributor will have a great impact on performance.  If it is at all possible, it would be desireable (assuming you still have a 1500) to get back to the original equipment which was found on your engine.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
ike

70 AS Bug

damcamp

mileage
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, in fact it is not the original engine but a Ghia.  I got the Ghia engine shipped from Fla. 6 years ago and have had no problems with it.....so what do I have now?  Where have you all been?  I've been feeling pretty lonley up here in Maine!  Lynn

bookwus

• Email
mileage
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
Hiya Lynn,

Well, here's what I would do if the car were mine................

First, I'd determine just what engine is installed.  Type 1s (Bugs and Ghias) were equipped with many different engine variants over the years.  The serial number for your engine will be found on the generator pedestal which faces the back of the car for easy reading.  You may have to wipe some grime away to see it though.  The serial number should be in this configuration one or two alphas followed by six or seven digits.  As in B5002347 or AH2198761.

From this we can determine just how your engine was originally set up.

And another note.............  I noticed that in you last post you mentioned that you have had this engine for some time.  I had assumed that the car was relatively new to you.  Has the gas mileage always been around 14 mpg?  If this is just a recent trend with your car, then the condition of the engine may well be the culprit rather than the equipment on that engine.  For example, your compression may be down.  This will happen naturally as the engine ages.  You may need a tune-up and the valves adjusted.
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

• http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
mileage
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »
Yes Lynn,
as Mike suggested... there are many different distributors and carburetors that can be used in Your Beetle engine...
Karmann Ghia engines are the same as beetles, so there should be no problem there...
VW engines do need to be tuned up fairly often...
and the carburetor may be different, this is a very common feature on VW engines...
I get about 22-25 MPG [US] from My 1968 Autostick with the engine now 1600 instead of 1500, a bosch 009 distributor and Weber carburetor, both not original....
I know it uses much more fuel than My 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer with an 1835cc engine...

it could be a small thing like Your automatic choke on all the time...
just needs adjusting... or the points have worn down and need adjusting and the engine timed...  
Your Distributor may be leaking if Vacuum advanced...
or distributor cap or rotor button worn out.... spark plugs..

Lots of little things that do go wrong in a VW engine...
Many people who can tune the engines themselves do so very often...

Best Wishes from Australia

Lee -- 68autobug - Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

68AutoBug

• http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
mileage
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »
Hi again Lynn,
I'm noticing more and more the lack of economy with My Autostick Beetle.
I'm guessing I'm getting 22-25 MPG [US]... and I get approx 35+ MPG with My Mitsubishi Lancer with 1835cc engine, but it is a manual car..
If I drive using the 3 forward gears the Beetle really goes well...
very impressed... but driving around My Town which is a small rural town, I can use drive 2 all the time... but its a bit slow on the take off...
and uses more gas as I'm revving the engine...
but if I use the 3 forward gears, and accelerate much faster ,I'm still revving the engine but I;m going much faster...  so which is best to save gas??

If I drive "slower" and use the 3 forward gears, I will probably get better  economy gas wise....
but then if I use drive 1 and drive 2 and try not to rev the engine so much
I may get better economy as Low gear is very Low....

but 15 MPG sounds like way too Much gas being used...
so, Maybe a small gasoline leak somewhere...
so, check out Your fuel line with the engine running on some clean concrete as see if You are loosing gas somewhere...

and check Your dipstick to make sure the gas isn't going into the engine oil thru a fuel pump leak...
If this happens drain the oil immediately... as the gas really dilutes the oil.

cheers

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --