Author Topic: Greetings from Downunder  (Read 2016 times)

jedidan

• Email
Greetings from Downunder
« on: October 19, 2006, 06:39:20 AM »
Hi everyone - I just recently joined as I am a new owner of ,yes, you guessed it, a 1968 AS Beetle. It literally rolled off the back of the truck a week ago. I am the second owner and it has been well looked after. It will need some attention since it has been sitting for 6 years. Its in immaculate shape with no rust. It is going to be a father /son project ( i am 40 and my dad is 65) we both adore VWs. Besides the usual mechanical issues that will need addressing I am planning to restore to former glory, including a new paint job. One of my questions, to anyone who can answer this, did original beetles have their fender beading painted the same colour as the body or were they the original black plastic (i.e added after car was painted) ? regards - daniel

volkenstein

• Email
G'day
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:46:59 AM »
Jedidan,
           Mine were black but so many were painted over during re-sprays. You can get a few different colours and the really old beetles used white calico cloth beading, so there you go.

Since you are in Oz, join www.aussieveedubbers.com  Myself (as Ctefeh), Pod, BajaChris88 & Lee (68Autobug) are all on there as well.

Since you are in Brisbane, if you need the odd autostick wreck/trans to pillage, find where AVD member "BuggyBrad" works. He uses S-A floorpans for Buggy's and occassionally has some S-A's lying around.

Enjoy
Volkenstein aka Ctefeh aka Sean
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

jedidan

• Email
Re: G'day
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:33:33 AM »
thanks Volkenstein for the fab advice - i have also joined AVD - I love the fact that there is enormous support out there and that I am not alone - a very good reason to own a VW !

volkenstein

• Email
By The Way
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »
Jedidan,
            Lee as his nom de net says (68AutoBug) has been working on his '68 for the better part of 10 years. Find one of his posts and his website is in his signature line for all the photos. He has a very early '68 to boot. I forgot to mention that Killakornkob (here and AVD) also has an early one as well and has a website too. His is two tone.

And if you want to see some Autostick Bling, on AVD check out "My Pretty Blue Bug" in members rides by the lady herself.

Have fun
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

Crasher

• http://www.candrenterprises.co.uk
Greetings from Downunder
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »
They were originally body colour but replacements are black.
ormally known as 1302LS auto