News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Hello from England!

Started by Wayne Venomous, October 22, 2006, 11:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Venomous

Hi! Just joined and I have to say I'm glad I found a forum dedicated to the VW Semi-automatic as there's very little information out there on the web.

I've just got home after a very long trip to pick up our 1971 1302S semi-auto:

Like most UK-based Bugs it needs the heater channels and rear quarters doing (our wet weather isn't kind!) also a couple of small sections of rain gutter and new wings but that's about it. The front strut mounts are totally solid as is the frame head.

It will be getting a few modern touches like disc brakes all round as it currently has drums all round and they all need replacing anyway.

volkenstein

Wayne,
         Good to see another 1302 AS on board! Looks pretty good given some photos I've seen of Bugs been left to the elements in The Old Dart.
There's a couple of your countrymen on this board, a little scattered from each other as far as I can see!

www.superbeetlesonly.com is a good site for SB's and while you are adding to your favourites list, www.thesamba.com .

Enjoy
Volkenstein aka Sean
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

Wayne Venomous

G'day Sean!  :)

This Bug had been sat for six years under a tree (hence the tree sap) but it was in Southend, Essex which has much better weather than we do up north so it's not as bad as it could've been. In fact, on further inspection it might not need the heater channels doing rather just the two front inner wings and A-posts as it looks like the rain has been running out here rather than along the heater channel thanks to it being parked sloping downwards.

The brake disc conversion I'm building myself using Mk4 Golf rear discs and calipers with the stock rear drums machined down to fit inside the discs and redrilled to accept the Golf wheel stud pattern. The calipers will be mounted on a custom made bracket made from 4mm steel plate. I'll be doing a similar thing with the front brakes but using Audi A4 V6 discs for hub clearance and BMW 5 series calipers as I have a set lying around and they're good beefy calipers.
I'll be taking pictures of this if anyone wants to know how to do this.

Thanks for those web addresses! That Super Beetles Only site looks very interesting. I'm already a member of thesamba.com!

Crasher

Why has a UK spec 1302S auto got front drums?
ormally known as 1302LS auto

Wayne Venomous

Quote from: "Crasher"Why has a UK spec 1302S auto got front drums?
We don't think it's a UK spec 1302S - according to the V5 document it was imported into the UK in 1972 (hence the 1972 K-reg number plate) and the speedo is in Kilometers per hour rather than MPH - but it seems to be the original as it has the ATF warning light. But it is right hand drive....
:?
Possibly a soldier from the UK stationed in Germany perhaps?

RESTO UPDATE: I've decided to do the heater channels anyway as there's a few dodgy areas on the driver's side under the carpet and whilst I've got the body shell jigged up I might as well do the other side too.

Jack-the-Bug

Hello from the Sunny South of England (except it's raining at the mo!!!)
 :)

Crasher

My 72 1302LS auto was sold to a soldier in Germany (from a dealer in Krefeld) and imported in 73 but it has front discs, an MPH speedo and RHD. The only RHD model I know of that had drums on the front was the 1300 engined 1302. Maybe it is a 1302, not an S? Why are you going to convert the brakes in the way you plan when you can buy kits off the shelf?

Wayne Venomous

Quote from: "Jack-the-Bug"Hello from the Sunny South of England (except it's raining at the mo!!!)
 :)
Hi!
It's actually sunny here at the moment!  :) (very cold though!)

Quote from: "Crasher"My 72 1302LS auto was sold to a soldier in Germany (from a dealer in Krefeld) and imported in 73 but it has front discs, an MPH speedo and RHD. The only RHD model I know of that had drums on the front was the 1300 engined 1302. Maybe it is a 1302, not an S? Why are you going to convert the brakes in the way you plan when you can buy kits off the shelf?
I think you're right - I've just done a search on the engine number code and it's a replacement 1600cc engine made after 1973 so it's very likely it's a 1302. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a right hand drive 1302 but it seems to make sense.

The reasons I'm doing the disc brake conversion in the way I said:
1) It's considerably cheaper (about £70 a side for rear disc brakes) than any off the shelf rear disc conversion and I have the tools to make up a caliper bracket from 4mm plate steel.

2) I've been paranoid about aftermarket stub axles ever since I bought a disc brake conversion kit for my Baja Bug when I was 18 years old (in 1997) and both stub axles snapped. Okay, they're proberbly built much better now but paranoia doesn't go away that easily!

3) It needs the Golf stud pattern and huge discs for what I've got planned....  :wink:

Wayne Venomous

Update: According to a friend with a huge amount of info on where VWs were exported to and the associated chassis numbers and spec, it seems very likely this 1302 was actually bought in Singapore and brought back to the UK.

The chassis number and lower spec combined with semi-auto ties in very well with what was sold in Singapore at the time.  It would also explain right hand drive with the kilometers per hour speedometer. This has yet to be confirmed though but we'll be applying for a birth certificate from VW to find out.

The plot thickens!  :o

Crasher

The birth certificate is a good idea although when I got mine back in 98 it didn't tell me anything that I didn't know but it did say that it went to Germany so you should find out where it was delivered too, and the type and original engine number. Isn't 4-mm a bit thin?

Wayne Venomous

Quote from: "Crasher"The birth certificate is a good idea although when I got mine back in 98 it didn't tell me anything that I didn't know but it did say that it went to Germany so you should find out where it was delivered too, and the type and original engine number.
Yeah this definatly sounds like a good idea. The fact the car appears to be originally from Sinapore was a huge surprise in itself so I wonder if there's anything else unusual from it's past.

Quote from: "Crasher"Isn't 4-mm a bit thin?
To be perfectly honest with you, I've only ever used 4mm steel plate on rear disc brake conversions and it's gusseted for strength. Non of the cars I've done this conversion on over the years have had any problems (apart from owners forgetting to change the pads as they no longer need to adjust the handbrake!) although I have been toying with the idea of thicker steel on the front.

Better over-engineered rather than under as they say.

Tez

just thought i'd say hello to all you fellow uk semi auto owners, i even see that there are two of us in Nottingham (Crasher) though we've not met yet!
here's some pics of my semi '67 ('68MY), 3 owners from new,all docs etc

:D

Crasher

I think I saw you in Hockley on a Saturday a few weeks back. I was walking up the street with my wife (a serious semi auto bug fanatic) and I swung round at the characteristic flat exhaust note. Where in Nottingham do you live, I am in Cinderhill up near J26 of the M1.

Tez

Hi Crasher
I'm the other end of town in Ruddington(near West Bridgford) good to hear from you though, any chance of some pics of your semi auto so i know who to look out for?
Tez :D