News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

pressure plate and clutch

Started by hakgun, October 28, 2006, 02:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hakgun

Hi dear friends, I hope you are well.
I have a 74 autostick, and I wonder if the clutch pressure plate and clutch of my AS are the same as manual Beetles. I need to change my pressure plate and clutch. I can not find autostick parts in Turkey. If they are the same of manual beetles, I will be glad to you those ones.
please help me...

volkenstein

Hakgun,
          The pressure plate is completely different. A clutch disc from a 1300 Twin Port manual may fit as they use 180mm diameter discs.

The A-S clutch disc is a seperate part number. Very expensive for a genuine one.

Are there any exedy/daikin clutch dealers in Turkey? They make a pressure plate and disc which fit.

Not much help sorry.

Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

bookwus

Hiya Hak,

As Volkenstein has mentioned, the clutch components for an AutoStick are unique.  What's worse is that they are VERY hard to find.  However, if you spend some time online, I think you will probably be able to locate the disc and pressure plate.

I replaced my clutch assembly a couple of years ago and learned two important lessons.  One, as you already now know, parts are hard to find.  Two (and this is good!) clutch parts in an AutoStick have an unusually long life span.  When I pulled the clutch parts in my car (and it had 105,000 actual miles) the clutch disc still had 70% left and the pressure plate looked brand new.  Both parts were original.  Which brings me to this question.............are you sure you need a new disc and pressure plate?

Assuming that you do need these parts, let me share this.................
I have parts numbers for both components.  These parts numbers come from the Sachs boxes in which the replacement parts came.  The number on the disc was 001 141 025 and the number on the pressure plate was 1864 241 035.  I have no idea whether these are VW parts numbers (the disc number certainly looks as if it could be) or not.  But...........if you could contact Sachs with these numbers, they may be able to guide you to a source.

By the way, I hope your original throwout bearing is in good shape.  The throwout bearing is THE impossible part to locate.  As far as I can determine, it is out of the parts loop and no longer available anywhere.

Good luck!
ike

70 AS Bug

Crasher

Clutch discs you can get but release bearings, pressure plates and turbine shafts are impossible new. I tried and gave up.
ormally known as 1302LS auto

bookwus

Hiya crasher,

The parts you mentioned can be had.  However, aside from the disc, they are out of the normal parts "loop".

For example, I found my pressure plates at a rebuild shop in Bend, Oregon.  This was not a parts supplier per se.  He had purchased the plates from another fellow who had helped liquidate the AC parts of closed VW dealership.

My throwout bearing was obtained from a fellow who runs a fix-it shop in Indiana.  He had purchased two of them at a Mid-America Motors parking lot sale to get rid of old Rocky Mountain merchandise.

They can be found, but it takes three things (not to mention a sizeable wad of cash - this stuff ain't cheap)....1.  contacts  2. perserverance   3. luck.  If I were to set out looking for these parts (NOS) I would give myself at least a year to find them.  But I do think it can still be done.  After all, I know for a fact that there is one person who has all of these parts, but I'm not selling.
ike

70 AS Bug

hakgun

Thank you very much.
I am sorry to hear that the parts are different; I hope I can find them on the net.
By the way, do you have the pictures of those parts?
Thanks again

volkenstein

Hakgun,
          What is wrong with your clutch that makes you want to replace it?.

Mike,
      Could you measure the thickness of your new A-S disc and post it?
I have a 1300Tp plate (used) and would like to compare it. The only dimension I don't have is a new A-S disc thickness.

Regards
Volkenstein

volkenstein

Hakgun,
          Here's a photo of the plate, T-O bearing and pressure plate.

Volkenstein

68AutoBug

Hi,
I have read where a standard 180mm clutch plate can be modified for use
but I never found out what modifications were needed...
maybe the center boss is too thick??

I think the easiest way is to buy another autostick components... used...
and use those...
as mike says the Auto Stick parts have lasted longer than probably any other car...  the parts were extremely well made...
but then there should be no heat in the clutch department...
with the clutch being either IN or OUT....
no slipping and Heating....

Pressure plate number was a VW number : 001 141 025
clutch pressure plate assy: exidy? 3082-246-003

SACHS clutch plate: 12010-24277    exidy number? 1864-241-035
vw part number: 001 141 031 clutch plate

throw out bearing: 3151-135-030  exidy?      VW number: 001 141 165

Best of Luck

Lee - 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://communty.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

hakgun

Dear volkenstein thanks alot for the pics. it was a great help for me:)

volkenstein

Hakgun,
          Are your problems fixed or are you still looking for parts?

Regards
Volkenstein