Author Topic: owner of an auto stick convertible  (Read 1656 times)

stcos85

owner of an auto stick convertible
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:03:42 PM »
Just got back from collecting a 1971 autostick convertible.

It was driven over from Germany last year but the previous owner never used it. Looking at it before it got dark the car is a dark blue colour but was previously a pale yellow. Will need some work to get it through an MOT but it will be worth it.

It seems to have some sort of blower just behind the steering wheel. Is this standard on these. Never owned a beetle before so not really sure if there are any switches that are particular to the auto.

Can anyone help.

On the speedo to the left there is a red light constantly on. Anyone know what this is?

I will post a few pics up tomorrow and hope to get some feedback from some people on here with more experience of owning these than me.

Wayne Venomous

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »
Hello!

That's weird - I picked up a 1971 semi-auto from Southend a couple of weeks ago!

The blower doesn't sound standard. It might have been added to draw the heat through (Beetles are notoriously bad for heating).

The red light on the left of the speedometer will be for the Dynamo - it should have a (G) symbol next to it. The red light means the dynamo isn't charging the battery.

It could mean various things, a faulty regulato, worn brushes on the dynamo (a Haynes manual will help here). You might want to upgrade to an Alternator while you're on though.

stcos85

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:58:13 PM »
first steps completed to getting it back on the road. Now has an MOT following a bit of welding.

now need to register it. Drives surprisingly well for a car thats been laid up for a year and a half parked oustide on a driveway.

Suppose it would help to change the oil which I will do this weekend.

Bought the front half of a 1302 as a donor for the panels I need for 50. Cheap way of getting the bits I need and selling on what I don't. Will be taking pics of the resto as it goes along. Can you post pics on here?

volkenstein

• Email
Photies
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »
Stcos85,
           You can do it no worries, just use a photo hosting website like www.photobucket.com.

You upload your photos there, and then you cut and paste the "IMG" part of the picture name into a thread/topic and voila, your pic appears.

Three per page is a good number, and if you have Photoshop or some software you can reduce the size before you upload. Just to help us dialup recidivists :lol:

Start a new Topic like "Stcos85's resto" and just update that one when you have new info/photo's.

Enjoy
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"