News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

1970 AutoStick Bug - USA Import Only

Started by bookwus, June 01, 2003, 11:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bookwus

Hiya All,

I really need to speak with any member of The Register who has a 1970 AutoStick Bug made for import into the USA or North America.  This, I promise, is not a sales pitch, nor is there any committment on your part whatsoever.  I am member number 171 of The Register and I need to gather some information specifically concerning the emissions equipment used on the USA 1970 AS Bug.  This information could be helpful to you as well.

Please contact me at:  Bookwus1@aol.com

Thanks!

Mike
ike

70 AS Bug

bookwus

Hello Again,

This is just a posting to get this thread to the top of the topic column and in your face once more.  If you have a 1970 AS Bug built for North America I'd like to hear from you.  As stated above, there is absolutely no committment on your part and this is NOT a sales pitch of any kind.  I'm just looking for some information on this particular car.

Mike

1970 AS Bug

Bookwus1@aol.com
ike

70 AS Bug

cjmck422

For what it's worth, I own a '71 Super with AS (U.S. Spec.)  I'd be glad to give you any info you need. :)

68AutoBug

What changes are there to AS Beetles in North America??
We had No pollution gear at all until the 1303S [?}or the 1976 Beetle [our last in Australia]
I haven't seen any Dashpots etc on Solex carburetors or those extra hoses coming from the air cleaner...
Most Beetles run Bosch 009 Distributors over here....
Mostly because they were told they were better than Vacuum advance???
I would like to find a nice vacuum advance dizzy... for My Beetle..

regards
Lee

ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

bookwus

Hiya Lee,

Starting in 1970 all (well, supposedly all) VW vehicles bound for North American import were to have the M-26 Evaporative Emission control system installed.  My records indicate that was also the case for VW vehicles bound for Australia, but you and I have discussed that in the past.  The M-26 system was basically the addition of the Emissions Canister to seek, trap, and dispose (by burning) of loose hydrocarbons.

Re: the distributor.......slowly but surely the general line of thinking over on this side of the pond is that the 009 is an unsuitable dizzy for general day-to-day driving.  It is being increasingly replaced with vacuum advanced distributors, most often the stock distributor for a given engine.  A very popular alternative (and one I would heartily recommend from my own experience) would be the SVDA from aircooled.net  This SVDA is basically a rebuilt 009 with the addition of a vacuum advance can.  It has made just a world of difference on my 1600 sp Bus.  Runs cooler, more power.  Give it a look-see on their website.
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

Hi Mike,
Yes the SVDA Dizzies are much better than the 009....
but so many people over here think its something great....
I keep seeing original Beetle engines and AS every so often,
still with the original VW Dizzy..... and  My heart skips a beat....
I could probably swap many for a 009, as I said, Many people over here
think the 009 is the weber of distributors....
I only know that the 1976 standard beetles here had the charcoal canister
I will have to ask around to see if 1303s had them too...
I don't think any Beetles had catalytic converters in Australia...
Our  laws were a bit behind the US with pollution etc...
getting closer these days.... but years ago, things happened very slowly...

I met a fellow who lives about 20 miles away a few days ago, He has a 1303S 1973 model.... with a 1916cc hot engine...
but He was telling Me that the roof of this car was full of rust, so He cut the roof off another 1303S and welded it back on....
it only has half the rain gutter... and is very rough in My opinion....
A lot of rust bubbles...  but imagine doing that....
He welds just for the fun of it... lol :D  :D  :D

cheers

Lee

-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

mg6770

Hi Bookwus,
I read the thread request (orig from 2003) just recently. I own a 1970 autostick that my dad purchased brand new in San Diego, California. It remained in my family throughout and it is now my daily driver. I still have the owners manuals that came with the vehicle. Are you still trying to obtain info about this particular car? Is there anyway I can help?  Im recently new to the registry, but I think its is a great forum for anyone who ownes an autostick. Keep up the good work, hope to hear from you soon.

bookwus

Hiya mg,

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure you can find the answers to any AutoStick related problem on this site.  We have some very knowledgeable folks who frequent this site.  By the way, it helps to speak Australian.

I zapped a p-mail your way with details concerning my little search for information concerning the 1970 AutoStick and the emissions system.  Hope to hear from you soon.
ike

70 AS Bug

Achilles

Mike,
For what it's worth my 1970 Karman Ghia, a U.S. car, did NOT come equipped with the emissions canister.  I reasonably sure that 1971 KG's did, though, as every stock 71 I've seen, has it.

I have no intention of fitting my car with that equipment as I restore it.  However, in my state, I do have to take the car through the emissions test as part of state motor vehicle registration (all post-1967 model year cars must in Delaware).
HD '70 Autostick Cabrio Ghia

bookwus

Hiya Achilles,

Very interesting.

ALL 1970 VW production vehicles intended for export to North America were to have been equipped with the M-26 emissions evaporation system.  That is according to the bible of VW restoration, Garfield's Car of the Century.

Mine does not have the M-26, nor did it ever.  I have found the same situation in four other cars (not including yours).  It could be that AutoStick equipped "federal" cars from 1970 did not have the M-26.  I have found the M-26 onboard 1970 AutoSticks in California.  And every one was a "California" car.

And thanks for taking the time to post your response.  It really is appreciated.
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

Hi Mike,
I have many books on the beetle and VWs in general, and none of them have the correct information on beetles sold in Australia.
As Beetles were assembled here from CKD kits [completly knocked down]
from 1955 until fully made here [early 60s] with a very high Australian content until 1968, when there were still some new 1967 models to be sold , these 1967 models are the same as 1963 German beetles, with the 1300 engine.
So the modifications to German beetles during 1965-66-67 never appeared in Australia Beetles.
We went from 1963 model straight to 1968 Model beetle....
then during 1968 some beetles were fully imported... until CKD kits arrived from Germany late in 1968. There was again some local content..

But All Autostick Beetles were fully imported from Germany.. 68-73
I only know of one 1973 1303S Autostick in Australia -

Lee Noonan - 68Autobug -- Australia --

bookwus

Hiya Lee,

Interesting, in light of the fact that the AutoStick was produced through the 75 model year (officially).  In actual fact, Wolfsburg had spare AutoStick parts on their hands as the 76 production started up so they punched out a few more AutoSticks in 76 to use up the parts.

Are you saying that the last AutoStick entered Oz in 73?

North American imports are very well documented, thanks in large part to Garwood's Car of the Century.  Still he says that ALL VW production vehicles bound for the North American market were equipped with the M26 emissions system.  I am now finding that this is simply not the actual case.  At least some (mine included) "federally equipped" AutoSticks did not have the exhaust emissions system onboard.

Very puzzling.
ike

70 AS Bug