Author Topic: Part No. Question  (Read 1927 times)

Achilles

• Email
Part No. Question
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:53:48 AM »
I have three auto trannies.  Two of them have part no. 001 301 103.  These are fitted with a reverse light switch and two ATF temperature sensors.  As it turns out, oddly, one of these units has a case-mounted drain plug; the other has none.

The third unit shows part no. 01 01 103 B.  In all other respects the tranny appears identical to the first two except there is no tap for a reverse light switch, and only one temperature sensor (no tap for a second).  This unit has the drain mounted in the large rectangular plate.  Has anyone here seen this configuration of auto stick tranny - is it for a type I?
HD '70 Autostick Cabrio Ghia

volkenstein

• Email
Trans stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
Achilles,
           They aren't trans part numbers. The trans part number (usually under caked on dirt/garbage) is found (as you are looking at the engine) on a rib on the right (US passenger) hand side, facing the ground and just forward of the gear carrier/trans case line. They all start with "B" and another letter.

So the differences. Pre mid '70 ish vs later.
Early GB's had the trans drain plug, 2 temp switches, temp selector switch and exposed spring seal.

They then changed to no drain plug, single temp sender, no temp selector switch and internal spring (red) seal.
Good enough as a general guide.

My '70 donor bug has an early trans, my '71 super has a later trans.

Since you have three (lying around?), go to the tech section and look at the topic Bruce has posted regarding low gear. You may care to have a look at your trans'. Also, post up your trans codes and I'll find the table I posted up about what the trans code means.

Enjoy
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

Achilles

• Email
Part No. Question
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »
Thanks Volkenstein.  Will post up shortly.

If I were to use the later tranny, is there a way to rewire given the difference in electrical configuration?

Thanks,
Larry
HD '70 Autostick Cabrio Ghia

volkenstein

• Email
Wiring
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
Achilles,
           On the later types, the temp sender wire goes to the ATF light  more or less directly. So if you slap a late trans in place of an early one, you just eliminate the harness for the senders and switch, and run a wire from your new single temp sender straight into the ATF light feed connection.

Conversely, doing an early into late you could plug the single wire into either temp sender, or into the selector switch and run two wires for the temp senders.

Enjoy
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

68AutoBug

• http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ON THE REGISTER - 68AUTOBUG -
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:45:26 PM »
Hi,
My early gearbox has no drain plug in the plate, two temperature sensors and I'm hoping for a plug for a reverse lamp switch...
I naturally thought they would all have them....
I'm not sure where they are located..

I have read where VW found out that two temperature senders were NOT needed... only a sensor on Drive 2 was needed....
I beleive the two sensors are connected together [??} as there is only one lamp in the speedo for the overheating ATF....

Merry Christmas Everyone

Happy Motoring....  

Lee Noonan  - 68AutoBug -
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --