Author Topic: Is this the VW twelve step program?  (Read 1780 times)

Pinstriper

Is this the VW twelve step program?
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Hello folks, I'm Sam. Sam I am...wait sounds too much like a childerns book.
My first bug was 1970 beetle and since then I've been hooked...but that was a looong time ago. I am the owner of a few bugs (63 Ghia, 71 Bus, 70 bug, 76 Bug -son's ) and including what was sold to me as a 68 beetle auto stick. It has been on hold for many years, 20+, due to lack of interest.  But since I've found this new home away from home, the interest is rekindled.
 I had purchased the car through the old Roy Bridges VW dealership in Birmingham from one of their salesmen that was using it as "transportation." He said on the way in to work the engine locked up. So I paid him his $400 and towed it home...No biggie I thought, I'll have it rebuilt in a week. Wrong...#3 rod was sticking through the case top. Naturally it lunched everything including shearing the tang off the oil pump. What had started an engine rebuild and it was shelved due to...you guessed it...no oil pump. Honestly had thought about scrapping or converting it over to a regular bug if possible.

Now I have hope...that it will, once again, be roaming the roads.

Sorry for the lengthy narrative...I get carried away at times. I may at times misspel, use improper grammar and use run on sentences...warning you in advance... :D

And about the nick, yes I am a signman and a pinstriper...I even use vinyl from time to time, but I love the art of slinging a brush.

bookwus

• Email
Is this the VW twelve step program?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »
Hiya Sam,

Welcome to the group!

Outside of the oil pump situation, you sound like you are actually in pretty good shape.  From my perspective this sounds like a straightforward engine rebuild.  Of course, you will have to do something about that oil/ATF pump - but those are actually pretty easy to find.  Usually going for something in the $50 to $100 range depending on the shape.  And do know that VW made two oil/ATF pumps.  One for early models like yours, and a later one which made its introduction during the 72 production year (IIRC).

The AutoStick transmission is really a very hardy beast.  Almost all problems with it can be remedied without ever getting inside the case.  Most often we see problems with the electricals or the vacuum system.  Do be aware that clutch components can be VERY difficult to locate, so you want to treat them with care.  The throwout bearing is especially rare.  Aside from the clutch parts, most everything else can be found.  You can have that Bug up and running around with some minimal "wake-up" kind of servicing and that engine rebuild.

If you run into any AutoStick questions this is THE place to come.  Of course, it does help to have the Bentley VW Service Manual in your garage.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes for you.
ike

70 AS Bug