News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Probable cause to 'slams into gear" found (Help with pa

Started by tmea, March 27, 2007, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmea

All:
Ref my post previous to this one. I took off the vacum control valve and had a look inside. I have a rotted/torn diaphragm inside (part 29 in the Haines Manual, the upper small rubber diaphragm) see attached photo. Obviously this part is no longer available. Do any of you have any 'work arounds' or substitute ideas I could use to fix/replace this?
Many Thanks,

Tom

P.S. I have tried to attach a photo but cannot get it to work. I can e-mail separately.

volkenstein

tmea,
      If it's the one I'm thinking of, your CV is now good for spares. Pick up another one from a junkyard or look in the classifieds on www.thesamba.com and search keyword is "auto" or "autostick". There's a couple on there.

Other than a sort of vulcanising fix.....it's a nasty one.

Whip a photo to me at ctefehinoz@hotmail.com just to make sure we are on the same page.

Ta
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

volkenstein

All,
   this is where (marked in RED) Tom has a tear in the small rubber diaphragm.

Nasty. Anyone have a bright idea to fix while he organises another CV unit?

Regards
Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"

tmea

Thanks Volkenstein. Just out of curiosity, do you know if anyone has considered making replacements for these seals using moulding latex? Someone possessing a good one would have to dismount it so that it could be moulded but it seems feasable to me. What to you think?

Tom

Achilles

It seems feasible to me as well but I'm not that versed in the molding process.

I would think that the mold, if made from an old diaphragm, would only be as good dimensionally as the diaphragm you mold from.  As I understand it, that's been an issue with aftermarket rubber products in other areas of VWs.

If I knew more about blueprinting...I would think that would be the way to go.

Anyway there are almost surely RTV products out there now that could produce a suitable mend on a torn diagphragm.  McMaster's?

Oh and yeah Tom thanks for following up on your original post.  Good data to have.
HD '70 Autostick Cabrio Ghia