News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Can A Type III Full Auto Fit In A Type I Chassis

Started by '72 Super Auto, July 12, 2003, 04:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'72 Super Auto

Hi there, how are you? I have a question: I'm getting my girlfriend a '65 Bug, and she doesn't know how to, or refuses to learn how to drive a stick (she won't even drive my Auto-Stick equipped Super Beetle), on the other hand, I have a buddy who owns a '68 Type III Squareback with an automatic transmission. My question is can the transmissions be swapped? I am preparing my girlfriend's Bug for conversion to the IRS suspension and building a 1600 engine with a 12-volt alternator. For my buddy's Type III, he ordered an IRS differential and side covers for the manual. If it's possible, then am I leaving something out? Thanx.

jean

I think that it is not possible, because the automatic transmission type 3 too big east.  She cannot pass in the chassis. Sorry
Jean

BastardBug

From someone who has done the conversion I'll tell you that it is possible and really not that hard to do. See my recent post in the technical section or email me and I'll try to explain everything envolved.
3 1303 Super T3 Full Automatic, 1776cc FI Dual Port, AC