Author Topic: no second gear  (Read 1415 times)

hippy286

no second gear
« on: March 13, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »
please can anyone help me??? I have recently had some work done on my 1967 semi auto 1500 beetle, how i have it back it cant get second gear. I also have problems with a hard jump when engaging gears with revs up and stalling with low revs.........please help me. what do i need to do??????? :( [/b]

bookwus

• Email
no second gear
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 08:47:54 PM »
Hiya Hippy,

OK......here we go............

From the symptoms you describe it sounds as if you may have two separate problems.  

One is definitely to do with your vacuum system.  You see, changing gears in your transmission is done electrically with a vacuum assist.  The vacuum actually moves parts so that the transmission can change gears.  That slap or thump you experience when shifting into low range from nuetral can be "softened" by adjusting the vacuum control valve.  That's the gizmo mounted on the upper left hand side firewall with all the hoses coming out of it.  The screw on the top of the control valve (often this is covered by a plastic cap) can be turned to adjust the feel (and timing) of the shift.  More info on doing the actual adjustment (believe me, it's not rocket science at all) can be found in your Bentley.

And another thought while you are back there in the engine compartment..........check out all your vacuum hoses and their connections.  Any sort of problem with any part of your vacuum system can cause havoc with an AS.

Not shifting at all into second.  Do you actually mean First Range (stick forward all the way to the right)?  Now it might be possible that adjusting your vacuum control valve (as mentioned above) will help with this problem.  But it's far more likely that the problem in finding a gear (when others do seem to work) is more likely a shift connector problem.  Check out your shift connector found under the rear seat under the oval shaped cover plate on top of the rear of the center tunnel.  It should securely connect the shift rod to the hockey stick coming out of the transmission nosecone.  There should be no play at that point.  If there is, a new shift connector is easy and cheap to buy.

Finally,  to my knowledge the AutoStick first appeared in production during the 1968 model year.  How is it that you have an AutoStick in a 67?

Hope all of this helped a bit.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

• http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
1967 semi auto beetle- made in 1967 - sold in 1968 --
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 05:49:26 AM »
Hi Mike,
If He can engage 1st gear but not 2nd.. there maybe something wrong internally with His gearbox... You would think that, if He can engage 1st but NOT 2nd it would be the gearbox.. or the rubber connection as You pointed out . If the gearlever assembly has been moved, that is, if the two bolts have been undone... its easy to lose a gear...

I have a 1968 semi auto 1500 beetle , but it was actually made in 1967..
1968 Beetles were made from 1st august 1967 - 31st July 1968.
Many people are looking up their chassis numbers and when the car was made... and mistakenly call it by that date..
Had a fellow with a 1970 Super beetle yesterday... !!!
Best Wishes from Australia

Lee
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

bookwus

• Email
no second gear
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 11:10:05 PM »
G'Day Lee,

You are dead-on correct with your diagnosis about the possibility of an internal problem.  I had thought about that, but I didn't want to scare Hippy too much.  He doesn't sound as if he's had a bunch of experience tearing down a transmission of any kind, let alone an AutoStick.  Besides, and I'm sure you will agree with this, the vast majority of all AutoStick problems can be solved without getting into the case.

Are you going to be back on the road anytime soon?

Mike

1970 AS Bug
ike

70 AS Bug