News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

shift pattern

Started by Untitled, December 31, 2003, 05:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untitled

Does anybody have an image of the shift pattern?  The one on my ash tray cover wore off and I would like to make a sticker to replace it.

bookwus

Hiya Untitled,

Interesting you should mention this.............

I too am interested in getting the shift pattern.  My ashtray does have the shift pattern on it, although it is faded somewhat.  I think a master could be made from the pattern I have.

At present I do have a silk screening company working on a bus related project for me which involves reproducing interior lettering (white on black, just like the shift pattern). When I pick up the parts they are working on now I'll show them the ashtray and ask about possibilities.

But do know this.........in 1970 (my year) the ashtray shift pattern was applied directly to the plastic covering.  There was no sticker/decal involved.  I do not know if that is the case with later years.  Let me know if you are interested.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

Yes,
that would be great Mike, as I don't have a sticker on My ashtray at all...
I have been thinking of getting one done too...
regards
Lee  --  68AutoBug -- Australia --
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

killakornkobb

i am also interested in such a sticker:) i know where they all are (the gears) but it'd be nice to have the sticker!!!  :P
-- Damien  <killakornkobb>

checkout my '68 Automatic Stickshift!
www.killakornkobb.tk

TaoDude

I don't think it is a sticker is it? It looks like it was made onto the ash tray. Mine is slightly faded but all there.
72 Super Cabriolet

68AutoBug

How are the ashtray stickers going?
Has anyone done one yet??
A fellow had the late one [with the park feature] made and was selling them on ebay earlier this year... I've never seen one with park in Australia so they must have been the very late models only... it was just a sticker I believe... Maybe a Vinyl sticker could be made...??
regards
Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

[/b]
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

Calisupastarz

I'm not interested in making a sticker, but if you needed a picture to see the pattern of the shift pattern on the ashtray, mine is in pretty good shape and I could take one and post it up here for you.

I was also thinking that if you went through all of the trouble to make a sticker (designing a pattern on CAD or other similar software) then why not just make a template for the pattern out of cardboard so that you can paint the ashtray with an airbrush to give it a more "authentic" feel.  Just an idea I had, it might be a little too difficult for some to pull off.  

On another tangent - does anyone know what's happening with the VWAR sticker?  or the "Automatic Stickshift" stickers that were discussed in other threads?  I would be interested in purchasing both of those stickers if they were available.

scotts72ltd

My 70 Bug has a pattern that is part of the ashtray front piece mold. It was then filled in with white paint.
Is this normal?
The pattern itsel does not wear off. But the paint does fade.
Get back to me.
Scott

bookwus

Hiya Scott,

You have the standard OEM ashtray for a 1970 AS equipped Bug.  

I had intended to pursue the decal option a little earlier (see my previous posting) but I too noticed that the pattern was embossed into the ashtray plastic covering.  I decided that a decal just wouldn't cut it for my use.
ike

70 AS Bug

68AutoBug

Hi Mike,
I forgot about the plastic covering on Your Dash...
It was only used on the locally made 1976 Beetle standard Beetle in Australia... [as far as I know]
Many people take them off after they crack etc... in the Very HOT Australian Sunshine...
Damien, has now had some decals/stickers made... but I don't have any details as My computer at home is collecting all My emails, and I'm in an internet cafe as I'm a hospital patient at the moment [3 weeks so far] 330 kms from Home...
I will be getting one of the stickers to place on My ashtray... which strangely enough didn't have one on it or any glue when I rubbed it back..
The other thought Mike, was, how can You drive a {read STEAL] car if You don't know where the gears are... this probably only applies to REVERSE as the car will drive in all other positions [as you know]...
BUT, I'd rather use an alarm and have the sticker on the ashtray...
I was Really trying hard to have My beetle on the road by now....
before it gets too cold to work on it......
I have to add soundproofing and the carpet to the car....
thinking of using a heat glue gun.... When We had carpet laid in Our home the carpet guy used a heated glue gun so it must be OK...

Lee

[/b]

Achilles

I'd be interested if someone could post a picture of the shift pattern - the one w/o Park, for reference.

Mine is long gone.

Thanks!
HD '70 Autostick Cabrio Ghia

68AutoBug

Send Me your email address and I will send You the decal...
actually a fellow in Australia had some decals made recently....
I bought one.....
cheers

Lee Noonan   68autobug   Australia

Quote from: "Achilles"I'd be interested if someone could post a picture of the shift pattern - the one w/o Park, for reference.

Mine is long gone.

Thanks!

rokurmen

Here's the hardest:

Best regards,

Rodrigo Kurmen
olkswagen Club de Colombia.
http://www.vwclubcol.com/
rodrigo@vwclubcol.com
http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/vwclubcol/

chumley

Mine does'nt have a "P" when did that happen?
8' NB (oddly enough not the daily driver)
'68 AS  the daily driver
'73 RHD Sponsored by the American Cancer Society LOL

volkenstein

My wifes 71 has no "P" position on the sticker....

Volkenstein
1 Super RHD Semi-Auto "Klaus"