ATF hose crush washers?

Started by bhartwell59, 21 February 2022, 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

bhartwell59

Saw several threads asking about these... anyone ever find some or a good substitute?

The ATF line going to the tranny split today squirting ATF all over the inside engine bay. What fun!

Got a used line on its way but will still (probably) need the crush washers.

Thanks!
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

eranha

Faced the same during ATF oil change.
The line going to the oil reservoir neck crumbled in my hands when I was trying to move it a little.
It was probably the original one.
I just went to the hydraulic shop and made a new one.
The washer are new as well, not a copper ones.
Eran

eranha

Take special care when u put the hose back banjo side, i used a steel Hydraulic replacement pipe and its so stiff that i distroed the screwing on the body  :'( .
Not sure what i will do now...

dreyes69buggy

Man!  That ATF stinks when it leaks onto the exhaust and burns.  I had all my ATF soft lines reconstructed with the old ends and bought new short crush washers from an Amazon multi metric size pack with thickness on both of 1.5mm.   Make sure you route the lines away from exhaust and heat exchangers.  My beach bug is running flawlessly and looks a tad better!!  Lol. Thanks Lee for the length info on a previous post.

bhartwell59

Does anyone know the I.D. (is it 12mm and 14mm?) of the needed crush washers?

Thickness seems to be 1mm outside washer/2.5-3mm inside washer.

Thanks!
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

dreyes69buggy

Yes, at the transmission that is the right ID for both banjo fittings.  The IDs on my washers are at 12.2 mm and 14.2 mm.  I used 1.5 mm thickness though I read somewhere they were originally 2mm for the outer one and 3mm for the inner.  A thinner washer will allow your socket to go below the adjacent face of the bell housing and perhaps give you an incorrect torque measurement if your socket is bound between the screw and the bell housing on the upper low pressure banjo screw.  The OD on my outer washers is 20 mm.  Any bigger OD would not fit right on the low pressure line to the reservoir without cutting or grinding a flat on one side.  I used the original thick washers on the inner side that are 3 mm thick each.
I hope this helps!